none
CAPICOM SetSecret algorithm needed

Question

• We are using Microsoft's CAPICOM's encode API to encrypt a message in our projects. Since support for CAPICOM is being discontinued, I am replacing CAPICOM with an alternative. I am considering CryptEncrypt function as an alternative but the API looks very different from CAPICOM's that we are currently using. We are using SetSecret method from CAPICOM

IEncryptedDataPtr enc(__uuidof(EncryptedData));
     HRESULT hr = enc->SetSecret("***secretPassword***", CAPICOM_SECRET_PASSWORD);

I am not able to find an alternative way to do what SetSecret does. Could you please give me the algorithm that SetSecret uses to derive a session key? Any other help/suggestion will be appreciated as well.

• Moved by Shu 2017 Monday, November 10, 2014 12:15 PM
    Friday, November 7, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Raj,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

But this forum is discuss issues regarding the C++ language, compiler, and linker. This forum covers all standardized languages, extensions, and interop technologies supported by Visual C++. So I will move this thread to where is the forum for... Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Shu Hu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 10, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Thanks Shu for moving the thread. I wasn't sure if I was posting at the right place. Could someone please help me identify the right place to post my question?

Monday, November 10, 2014 4:21 PM
  • Might try them over here.

Windows Desktop Dev forums on MSDN

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:26 PM