Install Failure (NIC Driver) RRS feed

• Question

• I, too, installed the server software with no apparent problems, only to find that my network card was unidentified in Device Manager and had no driver.  This is particularly unfortunate, since it's a Netgear 310FX, which is old and has been natively supported since Windows 98, I believe.  I can find no drivers for it for any OS later than Windows 95, and I have no idea what OS files might be appropriate.  So, short of buying another NIC whose drivers I can locate and manually load, I'm stuck and unable to run the product at all.

Suggestions are welcome.  For now, I may simply take another run at the install and see if it turns out any different.  That's the definition of insanity, isn't it?  If so, I may be the first person to claim that WHS drove him crazy.

Mel Raff
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:41 AM

Answers

• You will need Windows 2003 Server drivers for any NIC you install. I would suggest buying the least expensive NIC you can find with appropriate drivers. I would think you could probably find one for less than $10, and certainly for less than $20.

As for the NIC you currently have installed, it hasn't been available for (I think) a decade. It's entirely possible that at some point, Microsoft cleaned up the drivers that are available during W2K3 Server setup.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:02 PM

All replies

• You will need Windows 2003 Server drivers for any NIC you install. I would suggest buying the least expensive NIC you can find with appropriate drivers. I would think you could probably find one for less than $10, and certainly for less than $20.

As for the NIC you currently have installed, it hasn't been available for (I think) a decade. It's entirely possible that at some point, Microsoft cleaned up the drivers that are available during W2K3 Server setup.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:02 PM
  • I installed on a fairly recent Dell machine, SC420, and the install didn't detect the network card.

Just from the point of view of end users, I think some kind of notification that the server can't locate a network connection of any kind would be helpful. After all it is pretty central to the whole Home Server idea!

Regards

Friday, July 6, 2007 9:04 AM
  • reinstalling won't work.  You will have the same issue.  I use that nic on my home server and installed the driver from the netgear site with no problems.  http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/FA310.asp

Good luck!
    Friday, July 6, 2007 1:32 PM
  • This is interesting. The beta found my network card but both CTP and RC didn't (and with no warning that is had failed.) It looked like the installed succeeded until I found  that there was no network connectivity and device manager said that no driver was installed. Interestingly, device manager did identify the chip properly, so the install  enumerated the device but "forgot" to install the driver. The machine is a standard Dell Dimension 8250 with a very standard Intel Pro 10/100 ethernet chip. With the last install, I just used the install hardware dialog and chose the appropriate Intel driver from the list and everything works.
    Friday, July 6, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Hi dfuerpo

I am having the same problem on the WHS install on my Dell Dimension 8250 with standard 10/100 ethernet chip. Could you provide a 'blow by blow' of how to overcome this? Did you use XP drivers?

Did you have any further issues with Connector or anything else following this?

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:16 AM
  • The Dell site at "support.dell.com" has a driver for the intel NIC.
    Search for 8250 updates and download R56484.exe.
    See if this works.
    I had a Dell Broadcom NIC from my 8300 that I put in an old Gateway
    to test WHS and used the Dell driver for that.
    Now using a new Lenovo for my WHS.
    Dick Miller
    Hot Springs Village. Arkansas
    Monday, March 17, 2008 1:21 PM