Please help! Windows XP failing Verification, Region Problem - From Singapore RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Recently, I bought a copy of windows xp professional sp2 oem from ebay. I'm residing in Singapore and I had the copy of windows xp shipped to me. The package arrived in a plastic shrinkwrap containing a blue booklet and a hologram CD. The CoA sticker was stuck to the blue booklet.

After installation, I tried updating and it failed WGA with the region error. I began searching through the internet and realised that I probably bought a counterfeit copy. I'm sorry I cant show the WGA tool report as the computer is currently not at my place.

I need some advise. I read that Microsoft actually does replace if I actually bought a high quality counterfeit copy. However, the item was listed in US and I shipped it to Singapore. Can I still get Microsoft Singapore to help me with this?

Thank you so much! Really Appreciate it!

Cheers!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hello jxwee,

Please contact the eBay seller, inform them of the situation, and tell them that you expect a full 100% refund. If they do not cooperate, pursue whatever remedies that are provided to you by eBay, PayPal if you paid by PayPal or equivalent, or with your credit card company if you paid with a credit card.

Not sure about the rules in Singapore, but in the USA you have to initiate your claim thru eBay and/or PayPal within 45 days of the purchase, so don't let time pass you by.

As an alternative if the above does not work out, please follow the WGA prompts you should be seeing on the computer to submit a piracy report and to submit the materials you purchased for evaluation as possible hi-quality counterfeits and to see if you qualify for complimentary replacement.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hello jxwee,

Please contact the eBay seller, inform them of the situation, and tell them that you expect a full 100% refund. If they do not cooperate, pursue whatever remedies that are provided to you by eBay, PayPal if you paid by PayPal or equivalent, or with your credit card company if you paid with a credit card.

Not sure about the rules in Singapore, but in the USA you have to initiate your claim thru eBay and/or PayPal within 45 days of the purchase, so don't let time pass you by.

As an alternative if the above does not work out, please follow the WGA prompts you should be seeing on the computer to submit a piracy report and to submit the materials you purchased for evaluation as possible hi-quality counterfeits and to see if you qualify for complimentary replacement.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Hello jxwee,

Thanks for the quick response! The seller has actually de-registered himself =/ I hope I can get some help from microsoft! I hope I can get some help from Microsoft!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Visit Microsoft Genuine Advantage and click on Validate Windows.  After validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button for information on how to acquire a WGA Kit.
    Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:12 PM