none
WHS Backup causes PC reboots when backing up IDE drive RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!  Here's the situation:

1. I had my WHS turned off for a few months while working out of town.  I came back, powered it up, and had it run Automatic Updater.  The server is up-to-date on all its patches and PP3.  I then had it do a complete backup of my PC.  My PC is running WinXP SP3 and is also up-to-date on its patches.  Both server and PC are home-built units using off-the-shelf components.  Both PC and WHS have dual-core Intel processors running at 1.80 GHz, with 2Gb RAM

2. My PC has an IDE drive for my C: drive and a SATA drive for data.  I needed to replace the C: drive on my PC with a larger disk.  After making sure my system was backed up to the WHS, I powered down the PC, swapped out the C: drive, booted from the Restore CD...

... and entered PC Purgatory.  (That's ____ with a time limit.)

3. Backups would not restore because of bad blocks on one of the server drives.  (I would have known this if I had checked the server logs, but hey!  The server was running fine, so why check the logs?)  The usual fixes (CHKDSK) didn't work, so I eventually swapped out the bad drive and finally got the server back up.  I wound up having to delete all of the backups in the process, so I used Acronis True Image 11 Home to clone the old C: drive to a new C: drive.

4. Everything seemed to work just fine (larger hard disk on the PC made that run faster; system is running cooler with the new hard drive in the WHS) until I told it to back up the PC.  The backup service launched, it munched on the hard drives for a minute, then promptly rebooted.  Nothing I tried would keep it from rebooting every time I tried doing a backup.  I finally found that the backups worked fine when I specified that only the SATA drive was to be backed up.  However, every time I tell it to back up the IDE drive (the one I had cloned) the WHS backup service causes the PC to reboot.

So, I can't find anything about any IDE incompatibilities; is this something with having used a cloned IDE hard drive?  The drive in question is a Western Digital WD1600AAJB 160Gb hard drive.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:34 AM

Answers

• Turns out my motherboard uses RealTek network chips.  Rolling back the drivers did not fix the issue, though.

I had planned to re-purpose the old C: drive; however, luckily I hadn't gotten around to wiping the drive yet.  I put the old drive back into the PC, booted up, and ran a backup.  I put the newer, larger drive back in, booted with the Restore CD, and restored the C drive from the Backup I had just made.  When it came to the part about restoring what part to which drive, I told it to run the Disk Manager.  I deleted the partition on the new drive, recreated a "simple volume" (which reported a slightly different size than the disk cloning software had used -- may be why the restore didn't work), then completed the restore.

I have confirmed that the PC boots up fine and that the WHS backup works on my PC just fine, now.  The only stuff I lost were some bookmarks and some emails I forgot to forward to myself before swapping out drives.  If I ever have a desire to start chewing on broken glass, I'll have to experiment to see if cloning onto a drive where the partition has already been set by Disk Manager would keep this problem from happening.
    • Marked as answer by Prepper Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies

• Microsoft doesn't support (in general) the use of drive cloning tools. In the case of a computer backed up to Windows Home Server, cloning a drive may cause problems. The first thing to try is to reconfigure backups for the home computer with the problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Reconfigure, how?  I've gone so far as to delete, reboot, reboot, and reinstall the Windows Connector, then set up the PC for backups.  That's how I stumbled upon the fact that the SATA drive (not cloned) would back up, but not the IDE drive (cloned).  I don't see a lot of options for "reconfiguring" backups in WHS. 

It almost seems as what your saying is that my only option is to get a new drive, reinstall WinXP, install all the service packs, and reinstall all my software before I can depend on WHS to back up my drive.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi Prepper,

I don't think ken was suggesting a rebuild.  From the Windows Home Server Console goto the "Computers & Backup Tab".  Then right click on the client computer that is having trouble backing up and select "Configure Backup".  When that has been done do a manual backup and let us know what happens.  Though what you have done seems to be the same thing.

Because you've cloned the drive it may appear to Windows Home Server that you are trying to backup the same drive as before but clearly it is not.  I would suggest that you backup your backups using WHS BDBB:
    http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4078

Then delete your backups for this machine and try the backup again.

Also there are many problems reported with RealTek drivers.  If you have a realtek network chip then you might want to consider rolling back your drivers to versions in later 2009 and it may be worth searching around on line for your specific chip.

Good Luck,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Turns out my motherboard uses RealTek network chips.  Rolling back the drivers did not fix the issue, though.

I had planned to re-purpose the old C: drive; however, luckily I hadn't gotten around to wiping the drive yet.  I put the old drive back into the PC, booted up, and ran a backup.  I put the newer, larger drive back in, booted with the Restore CD, and restored the C drive from the Backup I had just made.  When it came to the part about restoring what part to which drive, I told it to run the Disk Manager.  I deleted the partition on the new drive, recreated a "simple volume" (which reported a slightly different size than the disk cloning software had used -- may be why the restore didn't work), then completed the restore.

I have confirmed that the PC boots up fine and that the WHS backup works on my PC just fine, now.  The only stuff I lost were some bookmarks and some emails I forgot to forward to myself before swapping out drives.  If I ever have a desire to start chewing on broken glass, I'll have to experiment to see if cloning onto a drive where the partition has already been set by Disk Manager would keep this problem from happening.
    • Marked as answer by Prepper Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:51 AM