Critical Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Having been away from my computer for several months, recently I tried to download CRITICAL updates only as I have in the past.

I last remember reading it was not necessary to activate WGA in order to receive critical updates and did not do so since WGA was instituted and was able to download CRITICAL updates. This time it appears I am now REQUIRED to download and install WGA before I can get any CRITICAL updates.

I object to giving MS unmonitored access to my PC. With Microsoft's new policy, is there a way to get CRITICAL updates without WGA activation as I did before? 

Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:22 PM

Answers

• Yes, you allow Widow's "Automatic Updates" to download and install the updates rather than going directly to the Windows Update web site.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:44 PM
  • WGA is not automatically installed if you set your computer to Automatic Updates.  Its only downloaded if you manually visit the Windows Update web site and download updates.

And where do you get the idea that "WGA has unrestricted access to your PC"?  The only thing WGA does is to perform a periodic Windows licensing compliance check.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:13 AM
  • On a computer running Windows Vista, the WGA component was designed-in and integrated into the operating system.  Therefore, a Windows Vista PC will receive an auotomatic update to the WGA files if required.  As far as "access to your PC", the only thing Microsoft is interested in is a periodic check of the Windows  license to ensure it is in compliance with the EULA you agreed to when you initially installed Windows.

Please review the following:

WGA for Windows Vista FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/nz/midsizebusiness/wga/wgafaq.mspx

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Please repost your Windows Update related inquiry in the dedicated  Windows Update Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:10 AM

All replies

• Yes, you allow Widow's "Automatic Updates" to download and install the updates rather than going directly to the Windows Update web site.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Not being a techie, I don't understand how enabling Automatic Updates to download and install updates (which include the WGA program) would enable me to get the critical updates without giving WGA unrestricted access to my PC since once WGA is installed by A.U. it can and will do as it pleases.

Could you explain please?

Thanks.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:37 PM
  • WGA is not automatically installed if you set your computer to Automatic Updates.  Its only downloaded if you manually visit the Windows Update web site and download updates.

And where do you get the idea that "WGA has unrestricted access to your PC"?  The only thing WGA does is to perform a periodic Windows licensing compliance check.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 3:13 AM
  • I hate to burst your bubble, but WGA downloaded AND installed on one of my PCs with Automatic Updates enabled. It did not ask permission, or ask me to agree to the license requirements. it just installed itself automatically.

Now it is downloaded on another PC (I wasn't asked if I wanted it) and tries to install itself every timei try to get critical  updates manually. So I am running without critical updates. That is why I asked the original question.

As for access to my pc, we know Microsoft 'wouldn't" lie to us about what the get from our PCs as they have proven in the past... Would they??

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:10 PM
  • On a computer running Windows Vista, the WGA component was designed-in and integrated into the operating system.  Therefore, a Windows Vista PC will receive an auotomatic update to the WGA files if required.  As far as "access to your PC", the only thing Microsoft is interested in is a periodic check of the Windows  license to ensure it is in compliance with the EULA you agreed to when you initially installed Windows.

Please review the following:

WGA for Windows Vista FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/nz/midsizebusiness/wga/wgafaq.mspx

Monday, August 27, 2007 4:40 PM
  • Good Day to all,

Newbie here to microsoft forum.

btw i am using windows xp sp3,

and now i turned my auto updates off, so i can configure manually my updates. Now the question is, how often does the microsoft give an updates in a week?

I am trying to attemp almost everyday for updates, but the message always said NO HIGH PRIORITY UPDATES AVAILABLE , how can i identify if an update is available?

I always scan for an update but no critical availabe. its almost a week. nothing exist 

Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:03 AM
  • Please repost your Windows Update related inquiry in the dedicated  Windows Update Forum.  Thank you!
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 5:10 AM