Correct Format for Live? RRS feed

• Question

• Just making sure I'm using the right format as there seems to be serious lag in getting Live to pick up any changes in the sitemap.  Using one of the available tools I have this for a new page:

<url>
        <loc>http://www.promomanagers.com/PolyPro-Big-Grocery-Tote.aspx</loc>
        <lastmod>2009-03-16T19:35:51+00:00</lastmod>
        <priority>0.5</priority>
        <changefreq>weekly</changefreq>
      </url>

The page is PolyPro Big Grocery Tote

The encoding is xml version 1.0 and utf-8.

Is it just a lag, it comes back as fine and there are zero errors.  It only occurs with a couple of it

Also, is there a free program out there or reliable for pay program that someone can recommend?

PromoManagers Promotional Items
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Promo,

Looks good to me. I think it is just lag... not to recommend any program over another, but here are some results for free sitemap generators: http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=sitemap+generator&mkt=en-us&FORM=IE8SRC&src=IE-SearchBox

Don't forget that our tool only accepts .xml sitemaps right now, but if you place the path to your sitemap in the robots.txt file, you can use any supportable sitemap (html, aspx, etc).

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:10 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:08 AM
  • Brett I think I'm finding part of the problem too, and it is on my end.   In changing the page design this year we're playing a little with the CSS presentation.  What appears to be happening in some cases - and over time it seems to clear on both Live and Google is that the initial index attempt can at times pick up on related products and end up putting those with the page title.  As an example with google this morning,  the Arches Recycled Poly Journal was pulling up the related item on that particular product page Arches Recycled Poly Writing Pad.  

I think the HTML is placing the related items first and at first pass I think both bots get confused.  They appear to "appear" messed up (wrong page) then vanish for a few days before a second or third pass is made that picks up the page.  Kind of interesting but not unexpected as some of it was our own doing.

It also appears without the support of an updated sitemap the pages are pretty doomed.   Couple of lessons that everyone already knew, but keep your sitemap updated and watch what you do with the presentation as it could adversely effect indexing.  We're going to revert to our old layout on some new products to test the theory.

I will check out the tools listed, thanks.   The Live search engine has greatly improved in the last 6 months.
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Brett as an update it appears to take about two weeks.  What was interesting to watch is the shakeout with the other engines.  Live takes quite a bit longer, it appears about 17 days total but it got it right in the first swoop.  I'm still having a few problems with a few pages but I'll give it until Monday to see what shakes out.  One problem we do have with both G and Live is handling of file names that use some of the .net tools for sorting.  Neither seem to like it much and treat it as duplicate content... example sport bottles .  Pages down in the sort order are rarely getting indexed but that's a bird for another day I guess.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:29 AM