After archive, data still remains in working file (cannot delete "2" entries @ begining) RRS feed

• Question

• When I archived 2010 entries all went fine except they were not purged from the current working file as they have always in the past. I have redone the archive several times and also done the file repair several times. I think the problem is in the two entries at the begining of 1/2010. They are deposits that I do not regognize, they cannot be deleted nor voided nor altered eg. change the info. Everything before that was purged from the current working file. I am using Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.1415

Tom.Micka@verizon.net

• Edited by Ziek12 Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:06 PM

All replies

• Investment transactions don't get archived. If that does not explain things, first try a File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair.

When you still cannot do your desired action, I would try making a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level

Actually, most people recommend not archiving. Disk space is cheap, and the historic information can be very useful. Do not expect to make your file significantly faster that way.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Sometimes crap transactions get stuck for some reason. Can you r-click Cut and Paste them to another account? If so, try creating a fake account, moving them to that account, then deleting that account. Another possibility is doing the opposite with the good transactions from that same account, pasting them all but these two to a new account--maybe this is daunting if you have thousands of transactions in that account.

I strongly recommend against archiving. Evne if they had implemented it better, it'd still be one of Money's stupidest features.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:03 PM
  • Hello,

This is not an investment account just a checking account. Also I did both file repairs with the results of the repair being listed as being repaired. I have been archiving for almost 10 years without a problem. Why is it an issue now and do you think it is because of those (2) transactions at the begining?

Tom

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Hello,

When I cut and paste the first two transactions I get "This transaction cannot be entered"

When I do it on the third or therafter the cut and paste works. I need to find a way to get rid of these two transactions. As far as cut and pasting all the good transactions it would be far more efficient to just create a new file for this account, in other words start from scratch.

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I don't know why.

If you have a managable amount of transfers, try exporting the account to a loose QIF file. Delete the problem account. Create a new account, and import the QIF file into that account. Deal with broken transfers.

Another possiblity is to do a complete QIF export and import. You would loose a lot of non-transaction stuff, but you would have a very clean file. If you want to try that, there are considerations to discuss or read up on first.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:20 PM
  • If you feel brave ;-), you can give give 'sunriise' a try (http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/). It gives you access to the transaction table from which you can delete the two rows in questions.

Try it on a copy of your *.mny file.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:43 PM
  • If you feel brave ;-), you can give give 'sunriise' a try (http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/). It gives you access to the transaction table from which you can delete the two rows in questions.

Try it on a copy of your *.mny file.

That modifies the Money *.mny file right then?
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:04 AM
  • Yes, there is a write mode that will let user

• modify column's value 
    • duplicate a row
    • delete a row
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:47 AM
  • Sounds like a pretty clear case of "corruption" of the data file. There is something wrong internally in how Money has stored these two transactions. Money created the problem but doesn't know how to fix it. It happens.

I'm not sue I understand what you mean by starting over from scratch for one account in a new file. Do you only have the one account in the file?

Something I'd try just to see what would happen: make a COPY of your data file. Open that copy. Delete the account with the problem transactions.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:09 AM
  • One warning about using Sunriise tools to attack this problem: we don't (yet) understand but a small fraction of the Money schema, so any notion that we know what columns or rows of which table(s) to attack how for this kind of corruption is misguided. Attacking this problem at that level is kinda like primitive brain surgery. You might get lucky. You might make things worse.

Luckily, you can clone the patient endlessly and expirement on the clones.

If you do figure out the cause of this kind of corruption and how to fix it, please do let the community know, preferably in the Sunriise sourceforge open discussion forum, what you find.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:15 AM