External Maxtor Basics errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have used and am using a number of different USB drives but I am getting the following with a USB Maxtor Basics 750Gb. Two or three hours after reboot, I get a number of "disk" errors in the event log:

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2 during a paging operation.

Followed by "ftdisk" errors:

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

and "ntfs" errors:

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

And "Application Popup":

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\fs\15\DE. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

The Backup Service then stops.

I've CHKDSKed the disk and all seems fine. I'm wondering if it might be going to sleep and WHS doesn't know about it as per this post.

Anyone else seen this?
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you checked to see if there are any power saving options set for the USB ports on the server, Also, does the Maxtor have any power saving settings of it's own, as some external units 'power down' after a period of inactivity?

Colin

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

Can't see anything obvious. I've checked Device Manager under both Disk drives and Universal Serial Bus controllers. Is there anywhere else I should be checking?

The drive itself doesn't have any tools with it to allow it to be checked as far as I can tell.

Paul
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Paul,

No, that is the usual place for any settings. However, looking on Google, there are quite a few mentions of server 2003 and external USB drives, as there has been on the forum here as well. It might be worthwhile working through the Troubleshooter, to see if it can offer any solutions. However, I note that they do say, (by omission,) that Server 2003 isn't a supported system, I don't know if that's relevant.

Colin

Sunday, June 29, 2008 7:48 PM