ReadyBoost USB on WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was wondering if WHS can use a USB key designed for ReadyBoost. But to speed up file access. Can it use it as a hard drive at all?  Like a 2gb USB drive
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:40 PM

Answers

• WHS does NOT support ReadyBoost.

Sorry.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I think you are talking about two different things... in Windows Vista ReadyBoost lets you use a fast flash drive for ram... at times improving application performance... from the sounds of it you want to use a fast flash drive for hard drive space... giving you faster access to your files.

This you could do with WHS (or any other Windows PC)... only it’d be extraordinarily expensive (~$8-$25 per gigabyte) to do so.

Off hand I do not recall the minimum disk size for adding a drive to the storage pool... however I believe that a 2 gig flash stick would be below that... one way with flash to get above that limit would be with a SSD (Solid-State Drive) or two... which is nothing but a PATA or SATA hard drive with ridiculous amounts of flash memory inside.

Be warned though… as fast and nifty as SSDs are... you pay through the nose for em... paying ~$300-800 for a 32 gig unit... all the way up to ~3200 for a 128 gig unit.

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:02 PM

All replies

• WHS does NOT support ReadyBoost.

Sorry.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:43 PM
  • I think you are talking about two different things... in Windows Vista ReadyBoost lets you use a fast flash drive for ram... at times improving application performance... from the sounds of it you want to use a fast flash drive for hard drive space... giving you faster access to your files.

This you could do with WHS (or any other Windows PC)... only it’d be extraordinarily expensive (~$8-$25 per gigabyte) to do so.

Off hand I do not recall the minimum disk size for adding a drive to the storage pool... however I believe that a 2 gig flash stick would be below that... one way with flash to get above that limit would be with a SSD (Solid-State Drive) or two... which is nothing but a PATA or SATA hard drive with ridiculous amounts of flash memory inside.

Be warned though… as fast and nifty as SSDs are... you pay through the nose for em... paying ~$300-800 for a 32 gig unit... all the way up to ~3200 for a 128 gig unit.

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:02 PM