Server upload speeeds RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished getting my homeserver set up and am starting to do back-ups and upload files. I am just curious if it is normal to up load 100GB of information and have it take 3-5 hours. Also my initial back-up for a laptop (wireless) is taking almost 12 hours for around 76GB of information, is that normal? I know once it does the initial back-ups future ones should go quickly, I guess I just expected it to be a little faster and was not sure if I had something set wrong. I am a little hesitant to play around with the actual server since networking is not my strong point and windows says not to change to many things on the actual server or you could "break" it. Any help would be appreciated, I just want to get the most out of this server as I can.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 4:43 PM

Answers

• Thank you very much for the information.

My LAN "should" be a GB LAN, I have all GB ports, a linksys WRT600N router, and all CAT5E cables.

Typically, the LEDs on switches are color-coded to represent what speed each port is running at (i.e. the LED for 100 Mb speed is yellow while Gb speed is green).  I'm guessing the built-in switch on your router is no exception.  You should check the router documentation to see if that is the case on that particular model.

As I mentioned earlier I am not very used to networking so it is possible that I have something wrong. When I installed WHS it said the motherboard disk was not compatible with this OS, so I have to load the driver file on using the Compatibility feature, it installed and got me an internet connection so I assumed all was well.

That could be your problem.  WHS needs Server 2003 drivers.  Sometimes XP drivers work, sometimes they don't....

The Wireless was running on the wireless G setting, but I now realize maybe I should have had my laptop closer to the router or plugged in. I instead had it a floor down on the otherside of the house, again this shows I am not a networking guru.

I just want to make sure I get the most out of this setup, I actually built the server myself so I don't want it to be a waste of money. I have always had good luck getting help in the forums and also help out when I have knowledge on the situation. Again I appreciate your feedback.
    I think your wireless will be ok once you do your first backup.  However, you might need to track down some 2003 drivers for your mobo (or purchase a separate Gb NIC that has 2003 drivers).
    • Marked as answer by Anthony V Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:54 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• I just finished getting my homeserver set up and am starting to do back-ups and upload files. I am just curious if it is normal to up load 100GB of information and have it take 3-5 hours.

Based on 4 hours (I took the medium), that's 55 Mb/s.  I would classify that as normal for any LAN that is configured as 100 Mb.  IF your LAN is Gb, then you might have a problem.  What is your typical transfer speed from one client to another (instead of client to server)?

Also my initial back-up for a laptop (wireless) is taking almost 12 hours for around 76GB of information, is that normal?

That's 14 Mb/s.  It depends on what your wireless network is:  if it's B, that's amazing (considering the max is 11 ;)  ), if it's G, that's decent (54 max), if it's N, not so good (although the standard has not been finalized, the max should end up being at least 150 Mb/s).

I know once it does the initial back-ups future ones should go quickly, I guess I just expected it to be a little faster and was not sure if I had something set wrong. I am a little hesitant to play around with the actual server since networking is not my strong point and windows says not to change to many things on the actual server or you could "break" it. Any help would be appreciated, I just want to get the most out of this server as I can.
    You should run your first client backup as a wired connection.  After that, wireless should be fine.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:13 PM

My LAN "should" be a GB LAN, I have all GB ports, a linksys WRT600N router, and all CAT5E cables. As I mentioned earlier I am not very used to networking so it is possible that I have something wrong. When I installed WHS it said the motherboard disk was not compatible with this OS, so I have to load the driver file on using the Compatibility feature, it installed and got me an internet connection so I assumed all was well.

The Wireless was running on the wireless G setting, but I now realize maybe I should have had my laptop closer to the router or plugged in. I instead had it a floor down on the otherside of the house, again this shows I am not a networking guru.

I just want to make sure I get the most out of this setup, I actually built the server myself so I don't want it to be a waste of money. I have always had good luck getting help in the forums and also help out when I have knowledge on the situation. Again I appreciate your feedback.
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:21 PM

My LAN "should" be a GB LAN, I have all GB ports, a linksys WRT600N router, and all CAT5E cables.

Typically, the LEDs on switches are color-coded to represent what speed each port is running at (i.e. the LED for 100 Mb speed is yellow while Gb speed is green).  I'm guessing the built-in switch on your router is no exception.  You should check the router documentation to see if that is the case on that particular model.

As I mentioned earlier I am not very used to networking so it is possible that I have something wrong. When I installed WHS it said the motherboard disk was not compatible with this OS, so I have to load the driver file on using the Compatibility feature, it installed and got me an internet connection so I assumed all was well.

That could be your problem.  WHS needs Server 2003 drivers.  Sometimes XP drivers work, sometimes they don't....

I think your wireless will be ok once you do your first backup.  However, you might need to track down some 2003 drivers for your mobo (or purchase a separate Gb NIC that has 2003 drivers).
    • Marked as answer by Anthony V Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:54 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 5:42 PM