I did something stupid and I want to make up for it RRS feed

• Question

• I'll be completely honest, since I think this is the best way to do things. I tried this dumb bypass trick (***scrubbed the crack URL - Mod***) that screwed me over. I got the evaluation copy of WHS and now I can't get in my server. So I tried the bypass and then I left my server on that passed the evaluation time. Now, when I login, it saids I must activate. When I try to activate, it saids I am already activated. Now, all I want to do is fix this and access my files. Just so no one says anything, I own a copy of vista ultimate, xp home, and windows me. SO please don't bash on me for this 1 dumb thing.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:48 AM

Answers

• Sad, but you can purchase a legal copy of Windows Home Server from e.g. NewEgg or Amazon for a mere $100 or so. Install it on your current hardware; you should be given the option of performing a server reinstallation, which will preserve the files in your shares and your backup database.

Or if you don't want to pay for WHS, you can remove the drives from your server one by one and connect them to some other PC on your network. On each partition, look for a hidden folder "DE". Inside it, you will find a folder "Shares", and inside that you will find some of your files. Go through all your disks and you'll be able to recover all your files. In this case you will not be able to recover your backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:56 AM