How to set the "Default" ASP.NET to v2 from v1.1. RRS feed

• Question

• After some research it appears that the following command will set the defaul asp.net to v2.

C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -sn W3SVC/

At the moment, the asp.net version is set to 1.1 but the config file is set to v2 so I would like for the default asp.net version to match the config.

Will this command work ok for that?

Regards, Mike Reeves
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:28 PM

Answers

• Ken -

I think I understand and perhaps there is a disconnect here. While I understand that the default and whs web sites are set to v2, which works just fine, if you bring up the IIS manager and right click on the "web" and select properties then select ASP.NET - here is what is on mine:

ASP.NET versio:         1.1.4432
    Virtual path:              web.config
    File location:              C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\web.config

This is what I mean by the version and config being out of sync. While the default version is 1.1.4432 the config is pointing to the v2 config file.

Hopefully that makes better sense.

Regards, Mike Reeves
    • Marked as answer by M Reeves Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:24 PM

All replies

• Can you tell us what problem you're having with your server? Or, if you're not having an issue, don't change anything.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:41 PM
  • Ken -

Please review this thread for more detail. But I think the way that it is will cause a problem if I create a new .net site (not that I can't easily fix it use the method Olaf pointed out).

Basically, somehow the default ASP.NET for web sites is set to v1.1 while the config is set to v2. I overrode this on the individual sites. Not sure how this happened but apparently id does occasionally crop up.

My concern is that I think that both the devault ASP.NET and the config should be in sync or may may be open to other problems later on.

Regards, Mike Reeves
    Monday, February 1, 2010 10:56 PM
  • When you create a new web site or application on any IIS instance, not just Windows Home Server, you have the opportunity to set the version of the .Net Framework it uses. By default, though, IIS on Windows Home Server uses 1.1 overall, not 2.0. My recommendation is to leave it alone, and use the provided tools to define your sites and applications as you see fit. I say that even though I don't believe you'll have issues if you choose to set IIS to 2.0. There's really no need to do anything except install your web applications properly (which a well-built web application with installer will do automatically).

As regards the other thread you've linked (which I saw, though I didn't feel that there was any need to contribute), you installed additional software and made tweaks outside the Windows Home Server console. That everything worked perfectly on your trial server is great, but any minor deviation you made from the first to the second installation may have resulted in the issue you hit there.

Just for your reference, the ASP.Net version for IIS is as follows on a vanilla Windows Home Server installation:
    • Web Sites is set to 1.1. This is what you propose to change.
    • Default Web Site is set to 2.0, as are the applications beneath it.
    • WHS site is set to 2.0, as are the applications beneath it.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Ken -

Understood with one caveat. While the default ASP.NET is set to v1.1 the default config is set to v2.0. Is that a problem?
    Regards, Mike Reeves
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:54 PM
  • See above where I said:
    • Web Sites is set to 1.1. This is what you propose to change.
    • Default Web Site is set to 2.0, as are the applications beneath it.
    • WHS site is set to 2.0, as are the applications beneath it.
    So no, it's not a problem. Like I said, though, I doubt that you'll have a problem if you should choose to change it.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Ken -

I think I understand and perhaps there is a disconnect here. While I understand that the default and whs web sites are set to v2, which works just fine, if you bring up the IIS manager and right click on the "web" and select properties then select ASP.NET - here is what is on mine:

ASP.NET versio:         1.1.4432
    Virtual path:              web.config
    File location:              C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\config\web.config

This is what I mean by the version and config being out of sync. While the default version is 1.1.4432 the config is pointing to the v2 config file.

Hopefully that makes better sense.

Regards, Mike Reeves
    • Marked as answer by M Reeves Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:37 PM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:24 PM