Workflows not working consistantly RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of work flows that are supposed to fire off when the OWNER or REQUESTOR (custom field added to the entity) fields are modified.

The one that handles ownership changes, fires off a message from the person who modified the record (dynamic field selected from the list of available fields), to the person who now owns the record (dynamic field selected from the list of available fields), CCs two users (sales and services managers) who are hard codied (selected from CRM user list) and finally a BCC to me (selected from CRM user list).

The one that handles requestor changes fires off a message from the person who modified the record (dynamic field selected from the list of available fields), to the requestor (dynamic field selected from the list of available fields), CCs two users (sales and services managers) who are hard codied (selected from CRM user list) and finally a BCC to me (selected from CRM user list).

The ownership change workflow broke without modification and is complaining of an invalid arguement - even after I went in and removed and reselected all the fields and rebooted the server. After the server came back up, I could see jobs in the system jobs queeu, but it still is not working and complaining about invalid arguments.

The requester change workflow was not working. I rebooted the server and reselected all the fields and it is now working.

This happened once before where neither was working and as I was trying to troubleshoot the problem, they started working again. Evidently they stopped a couple of weeks ago, but no one told me or complained.

I am extrememly frustrated with workflows doing flakey things and the lack of tools or trails to troubleshoot efficiently.  

Gregory N. Brooks Secure Data Inc. gregory.brooks@securedatainc.com
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hey Gregory, is there any change in behavior if instead of checking for a change in the owner field, you instead check the "Record is assigned" checkbox right above "Record attributes change"?
    Phil Edry – Altriva Solutions – http://www.altriva.com/AltrivaBlog.aspx
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:28 PM
  • on which step it is failing? if it failing at a step when email sent then check if users/contacts included in email sending have email field set..

if it is genereal failure then do advanced find on system jobs..

System Job name Eq <<your workflow name> and add message columns and this mesaage column will have more information about the error ..

HTH..

MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hey Gregory, is there any change in behavior if instead of checking for a change in the owner field, you instead check the "Record is assigned" checkbox right above "Record attributes change"?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Also, what server rollup do you have currently installed?
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:32 PM
  • on which step it is failing? if it failing at a step when email sent then check if users/contacts included in email sending have email field set..

if it is genereal failure then do advanced find on system jobs..

System Job name Eq <<your workflow name> and add message columns and this mesaage column will have more information about the error ..

HTH..

MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Update 11. I am preparing to install 12 - probably this weekend
    Gregory N. Brooks Secure Data Inc. gregory.brooks@securedatainc.com
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:07 PM