Regarding bypassing the resource assignment in HPC RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We have the below scenario we want to accomplish with windows HPC pack, please let us know if it's possible.

"To provide a better response time to all the users of our system, we want to start executing their jobs immediately irrespective of resources availability. This means that we don’t want to perform the job’s resource requirements matching.

As there won’t be any resource management, we need to provide some strategy for the load balancing in the cluster. A simple load balancing will be to try assigning an equal number of jobs to every compute node in the cluster.

We understand that this approach is quite different than the traditional resource management approach but we want to start users’ jobs right away even if the new jobs impacts the running/completion time of previously scheduling jobs. In this scenario, jobs might run slower if lesser number of resources are there."

Can we accomplish this scenario with HPC pack? I tried to make mincores to  0 for the job& task but got an exception. 

Thanks,

Puneet Sharma

Puneet Sharma

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Puneet,

I may not fully get your scenario. Could you reach me through hpcpack@microsoft.com so that I could understand your scenario more clearly? And here is some approach based on my current understanding:

You want user's job get executed immedidately when submitted, and the system loadbalanced based on job load

Couple options:

1. Please check the scheduler policy "Balanced" mode, by default scheduler is in "Queued" mode, Balanced mode will allow jobs get scheduled immedidately with min resource requirement
    2. If the balanced won't meet your requirement, you might think of SOA shared session, the SOA session is always running and client is attaching to a running SOA session

Qiufang Shi

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Puneet,

I may not fully get your scenario. Could you reach me through hpcpack@microsoft.com so that I could understand your scenario more clearly? And here is some approach based on my current understanding:

You want user's job get executed immedidately when submitted, and the system loadbalanced based on job load

Couple options:

1. Please check the scheduler policy "Balanced" mode, by default scheduler is in "Queued" mode, Balanced mode will allow jobs get scheduled immedidately with min resource requirement
    2. If the balanced won't meet your requirement, you might think of SOA shared session, the SOA session is always running and client is attaching to a running SOA session

Qiufang Shi

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 1:34 AM
  • This answer works well. I believe we will use SOA shared sessions.

Puneet Sharma

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 9:43 PM