HP Health Check Update and other Vista issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Maestro, While operating systems become more complex, so do places to find answers become excruciatingly difficult. I am trying to get the HP Health Check Updates to run, so I asked HP Support Forums. The reply was to run CHKDSK /R, so I tried that, and this oh-so-clever operating system in all its vast knowledge and wisdom says this to me: 

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
    You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

What is "elevated mode"? Does the idiotic OS not recognize that I am logged in as ADMINISTRATOR? DUH! To be told that I do not have sufficient privileges is totally absurd and I actually resent this bitterly, which probably will come across in my prose. How dare the operating system tell me, the Vista Business 32 administrator, that I have insufficient privileges?

While I am enjoying Vista Business 32 on this HP Compaq 6720s laptop, I have also ordered a new laptop for Vista Ultimate. I am extremely annoyed that Vista Ultimate RESTRICTS the MAXIMUM onboard RAM to 4GB. This is TOTALLY ABSURD! If the main board can take 8GB RAM, for instance, why does the OS stipulate that it requires 1GB for itself leaving only 3GB for all the other applications which I need to run?

It is this type of imperialistic bullying that will make me forget all about Vista Ultimate and go to Ubuntu to run Adobe Audition 3 as well as all the video editing programs I need to do my work. How dare Microsoft dictate what the MAXIMUM amount of RAM a machine can have?

Ian D. Samson
    PC User since DOS 2.0

• Moved by Andrew BrennerMicrosoft employee Wednesday, August 27, 2008 4:59 PM not forum suggestion (Moved from Suggestions and Feedback for the Forums to Where is the Forum For…?)
    Monday, August 25, 2008 5:23 PM

Answers

All replies