lost storage drive pool after "upgrade" from whs beta to vail refresh.. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently went from Vail beta1 to Vail beta2. On my previous vail setup I had the os residing on a 146GB drive and 3 other drives were functioning as my storage pool.. (Docs, pictures, etc)  I just installed vail beta2 (refresh, whatever you want to call it) over the previous install and following the same install methodology I installed the OS on the 146GB drive and was "hoping" my storage pool drives would carry over. THat is so far not the case and so far it appears my only option is to blow the drives away to add them. (which kinda sucks because I would like to keep the data i had on them.) In any event I thought a second option might be to reinstall the previous beta and see if it sees those drives and allows me to do the smart thing and backup the data as I should have done.  :)

Anyone know if its possible to transfer the storage pool with the data from beta1 to beta2?  or to reinstall beta1 and have those drives automagically reconnect?

I know that this is alot to ask. I should have done the smart thing and built this all up on a virtual server in the first place so i could test but with the limits of vms and local hardware this was why i didn't go that route.

thanks in advance.

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:51 PM Vail question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• Issue

Drive Extender data from earlier Vail beta versions are incompatible with this version.

Description

The low-level data format for Drive Extender has changed with this release and is no longer compatible with data written by Drive Extender in earlier versions of Vail. Drives that were used as part of a server storage pool in an earlier version of Vail will show a status of incompatible version in the Hard Drives tab of the Dashboard. Incompatible hard drives can still be added to the default storage pool, but all data on the hard drive will be lost.

Solution

Before installing this version, copy all server folder data from server storage to an external USB drive or to a client computer. After installing, copy the data back to the server storage folders.

• Marked as answer by TheAlaskan Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:32 PM
    • Edited by DonCarlson Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:36 PM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:32 PM

All replies

• I recently went from Vail beta1 to Vail beta2. On my previous vail setup I had the os residing on a 146GB drive and 3 other drives were functioning as my storage pool.. (Docs, pictures, etc)  I just installed vail beta2 (refresh, whatever you want to call it) over the previous install and following the same install methodology I installed the OS on the 146GB drive and was "hoping" my storage pool drives would carry over. THat is so far not the case and so far it appears my only option is to blow the drives away to add them. (which kinda sucks because I would like to keep the data i had on them.) In any event I thought a second option might be to reinstall the previous beta and see if it sees those drives and allows me to do the smart thing and backup the data as I should have done.  :)

Anyone know if its possible to transfer the storage pool with the data from beta1 to beta2?  or to reinstall beta1 and have those drives automagically reconnect?

I know that this is alot to ask. I should have done the smart thing and built this all up on a virtual server in the first place so i could test but with the limits of vms and local hardware this was why i didn't go that route.

thanks in advance.

Please check the release notes for the beta refresh (specifically the Installation and Initial Configuration section).
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 6:55 PM
  • I'm checking over the docs but havent found anything regarding internal drives.  What is odd is during the install it saw all 4 drives and did identify them all correctly.  However after the install completed I see two of the drives show up in an alert saying that the data format of the following hard drives is not compatible with the storage pool..   Sooooo..  i'm guessing whatever format was used under the previous beta is not compatible with the new format under beta2?  If thats the case this should be clearly stated in the instructions..

Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Issue

Drive Extender data from earlier Vail beta versions are incompatible with this version.

Description

The low-level data format for Drive Extender has changed with this release and is no longer compatible with data written by Drive Extender in earlier versions of Vail. Drives that were used as part of a server storage pool in an earlier version of Vail will show a status of incompatible version in the Hard Drives tab of the Dashboard. Incompatible hard drives can still be added to the default storage pool, but all data on the hard drive will be lost.

Solution

Before installing this version, copy all server folder data from server storage to an external USB drive or to a client computer. After installing, copy the data back to the server storage folders.

• Marked as answer by TheAlaskan Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:32 PM
    • Edited by DonCarlson Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:36 PM
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Don,

I feared as much but it makes sense. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Now to test if i can go back and still access the old drives..   I'm guessing this will be a no as well but you never know.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:34 PM
  • Don,

I feared as much but it makes sense. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Now to test if i can go back and still access the old drives..   I'm guessing this will be a no as well but you never know. 

The only way that might work is if you A) do a clean install of the original beta version (the one from April) and B) attach those drives after the install (which should then show up as a "non-default storage pool").  You cannot attach those drives to any other OS and copy data from them.  (All of that is assuming that they haven't already been formatted.)  However, it would be much easier to simply add those drives to your beta refresh install and copy the data from another source.
    Sunday, September 5, 2010 7:37 PM