Error message at bootup - Service not started RRS feed

• Question

• At bootup I am getting an error message saying that one or more services failed to start. See event logs for more information.

The only error in the event log is:

Source: Windows Search Service
    Catagory: Gatherer
    Type: Error
    EventID: 3102

The per-user filter pool for session 1 could not be added <7022,1>.

Details:

The specified session cannot be found. (0x80071b6e)

When I click on the MS Help and Support Center, it sends the info and returns with no information found.

I recently (last weekend) reinstalled the server o/s because of other issues. I had trouble with the sata drivers for the onboard controllers. One is VIA and the other is Promise. I finally got everything working on the VIA controller, but gave up on the Promise. At this time, I only have three hard drives in the machine, a 500 gb IDE drive for the o/s and two 1 tb drives for backups and data. This afternoon, I installed PP2 after seeing it was available and the error message persists.

I have two add-ins installed: WHS Disk Management and WHS Toolkit V2.0.

I'm open for suggestions.

Randall Davis

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:42 AM

All replies

• randavis said:

At bootup I am getting an error message saying that one or more services failed to start. See event logs for more information.

The only error in the event log is:

Source: Windows Search Service
    Catagory: Gatherer
    Type: Error
    EventID: 3102

The per-user filter pool for session 1 could not be added <7022,1>.

Details:

The specified session cannot be found. (0x80071b6e)

When I click on the MS Help and Support Center, it sends the info and returns with no information found.

I recently (last weekend) reinstalled the server o/s because of other issues. I had trouble with the sata drivers for the onboard controllers. One is VIA and the other is Promise. I finally got everything working on the VIA controller, but gave up on the Promise. At this time, I only have three hard drives in the machine, a 500 gb IDE drive for the o/s and two 1 tb drives for backups and data. This afternoon, I installed PP2 after seeing it was available and the error message persists.

I have two add-ins installed: WHS Disk Management and WHS Toolkit V2.0.

I'm open for suggestions.

Randall Davis

Is there anything on your server that appears to not be functioning correctly?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Sometimes these messages are simply irritating and caused by timing. So a service, which may depend from others, did not start in a specific time frame, but later succeeded. So the message has been caused by the long time the service or driver needed to start and not due to a malfunction. Unfortunately such delays are not monitored in the event log before Vista.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:22 AM
  • Everything seems to be working. I just get the error message when I reboot.

I hope Olaf is correct and that it is just a timing issue.

I will keep the server running and see if anything shows up.

Thank you,

Randall Davis
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Hi Randall,
    just to ensure:
    On the server click Start/Run and type services.msc.
    Sort the services by Start Type. Check which of the services, which should be started automatically, are not listed as started (a very few are normal) and post them here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:40 PM
  • randavis said:

Everything seems to be working. I just get the error message when I reboot.

I hope Olaf is correct and that it is just a timing issue.

I will keep the server running and see if anything shows up.

Thank you,

Randall Davis

What is the exact error message?  Is it "At least one service or driver failed during startup"?  If so, you should check your drivers as well.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Olaf, only one automatic service is not running. It is Performance logs. I tried starting it and it started and immediately shut down saying that it was normal as no work was to be done.

Kariya21, I do have a problem with a driver as referenced in a previous post in this thread. I cannot seem to find a driver that WHS likes.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Olaf, only one automatic service is not running. It is Performance logs. I tried starting it and it started and immediately shut down saying that it was normal as no work was to be done.

Kariya21, I do have a problem with a driver as referenced in a previous post in this thread. I cannot seem to find a driver that WHS likes.

If you are getting the exact error message I am referring to, it might be due to the driver (instead of a service).  You might try disabling the controller for the SATA ports that you are having problems and see if the message appears again.
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:14 PM