none
WHS Backup via internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,
    is there some solution for backing up PCs via the internet and not just in the same network?

Thanks,
    Ondrej
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:37 PM

All replies

• There is nothing built into Windows Home Server to do so. Some users have managed by creating a VPN connection first, but that's not a solution for restoring, only backing up (and it may take hours).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 25, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Ok, another question :) Does Microsoft provide similar (standalone preffered) backup technology which is used in WHS? Thanks.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:28 AM
  • Ok, another question :) Does Microsoft provide similar (standalone preffered) backup technology which is used in WHS? Thanks.

Single Instance Storage backups are part of a few Microsoft Server operating systems or a solution like System Center Data Protection Manager can be used there, but I didn't see this as a standalone solution for client backups.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:13 AM
  • Windows Vista (Business or Ultimate) and Win7 contain a backup solution which use technology similar to WHS. Overhere you can get a good impresson of the way it works in Win7
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 7:08 PM
  • I was studying backup technology in W7 today. However, it makes new backup files each time the backup is running. It's not the same as in WHS, where the technology determines the changes and then mirrors them to the backup file. Any idea on how to make this "smart" backup technology available in W7? Thanks.
    I realize this problem is already not in the correct category (WHS instead of W7), but the core problem is still relevant to WHS :) Thanks for your suggestions.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:08 PM
    Any idea on how to make this "smart" backup technology available in W7? Thanks.
    Sorry, but "How do I do what Windows Home Server does, but in Windows 7?" really does belong in the Windows 7 forums , not here. The short answer, though, is that you don't. The technology that Windows Home Server uses is not available in any other Microsoft product. The closest you will come regarding the space savings of the tool built into Windows Home Server is with some sort of traditional backup strategy, with full, differential, and/or incremental backups. Or possibly you will find a third party solution...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:29 PM
  • I was studying backup technology in W7 today. However, it makes new backup files each time the backup is running. It's not the same as in WHS, where the technology determines the changes and then mirrors them to the backup file. Any idea on how to make this "smart" backup technology available in W7? Thanks.
    I realize this problem is already not in the correct category (WHS instead of W7), but the core problem is still relevant to WHS :) Thanks for your suggestions.

I didn't say it's identical to WHS, however it's definitily similar. It's easy to setup and schedule, it also uses VSS (shadow copies) technology to determine changes to backup and it's also incremental. You are right the backups are stored in a different way, however that's not really important from a users perspective. Disadvantage is that it uses somewhat more storage space for user files, advantage is that you can simply browse to the storage location and extract any file you want without the need for special software to open the backups.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 6:53 AM