Regarding Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Does the Windows Firewall on WHS and the client both need to be active?  I have a 2Wire and it has a built in Firewall as well. When I disable my firewall on my client the WHS icon goes red.  Why would it do that if the firewall onboard the WHS is active?

Friday, October 9, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• Does the Windows Firewall on WHS and the client both need to be active?  I have a 2Wire and it has a built in Firewall as well. When I disable my firewall on my client the WHS icon goes red.  Why would it do that if the firewall onboard the WHS is active?

Because WHS monitors the health of both Vista and 7 clients.  When a client with either of those OSes has a firewall (or antivirus) that's disabled (or, in the case of an A/V, out of date), WHS sends out an alert through the icon in the system tray.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 9, 2009 7:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by JSHollis Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:31 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:25 PM

All replies

• The firewall on you server only protects your server, not other computers.

As for whether you need protection on every computer, my opinion is that you need (minimum) a firewall and antivirus on every computer in your house.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:20 AM

Because WHS monitors the health of both Vista and 7 clients.  When a client with either of those OSes has a firewall (or antivirus) that's disabled (or, in the case of an A/V, out of date), WHS sends out an alert through the icon in the system tray.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, October 9, 2009 7:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by JSHollis Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:31 PM
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:25 PM