.net vs java RRS feed

• Question

• pls tell me about .net vs java
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:04 AM

Answers

• CLI and C# have many similarities to Sun's JVM and Java. They are strong competitors. Both are based on a virtual machine model that hides the details of the computer hardware on which their programs run. Both use their own intermediate byte-code, Microsoft calling theirs Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) and Sun Java bytecode. On .NET, the byte-code is always JIT-compiled: with Java, the byte-code can be either interpreted or JIT-compiled. Both provide extensive class libraries that address many common programming requirements, and both address many security issues that are present in other approaches. The namespaces provided in the .NET Framework closely resemble the platform packages in Java EE API Specification both in style and invocation.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:08 AM

All replies

• CLI and C# have many similarities to Sun's JVM and Java. They are strong competitors. Both are based on a virtual machine model that hides the details of the computer hardware on which their programs run. Both use their own intermediate byte-code, Microsoft calling theirs Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) and Sun Java bytecode. On .NET, the byte-code is always JIT-compiled: with Java, the byte-code can be either interpreted or JIT-compiled. Both provide extensive class libraries that address many common programming requirements, and both address many security issues that are present in other approaches. The namespaces provided in the .NET Framework closely resemble the platform packages in Java EE API Specification both in style and invocation.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:08 AM
  • refer to the notes of narasiman and add to your knowledge that .net is still not platform independent, whereas java is.
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Narasiman has given a good answer.. Thnks
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:46 PM
  • as far as platform independecy is concerned i would like to add that , Linux provide Mono to run .NET
    moreover java runs on all machines which can execute VM so its damn requirement but same is with . NET, you need Framework..

So I think for more flexibility and great tools go for .NET but for more object orieted design , opt for JAVA. Also do take care of UI design , .NET has excellent UI suport but JAVA has no standardized solution . NETBEANS provides some UI genareation tools like ECLIPSE. but no comparison to .NET ActiveX Controls and webcontrols.

I hope that answers ur question
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 9:08 PM
  • thanks for the information shirish.
    Friday, March 16, 2007 12:52 PM