none
Errata for 70-646 Training Kit, Jan 2013 Reprint RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Folks,

Microsoft Press has just published the January 2013 corrected reprint of their training kit for the 70-646 exam. If you have an older version of this book, following is a link to the confirmed errata and corrections made in this reprint.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/errata.csp?isbn=0790145308283

I hope you find this information useful.

James

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Folks,

I just did a quick check of the latest reprint of the 70-646 PDF against the errata page, and so far everything looks good. I checked for the last corrected errors which, according to the errata sheet, were corrected on Jan 18, 2013. These were the errors reported on page 94 Figure 2-24, and page 99 Exercise 2, step 7. These have all been corrected.

To receive the latest corrected reprint of the 70-646 Training Kit, I would suggest you purchase it electronically since any printed version currently on the shelves will likely be the old printing. If you purchase the electronic version from O'Reilly, you can always keep your edition current since you are entitled to free updates of that edition for the life of the product. That's how I stay up-to-date.

I hope this information proves useful to you.

James

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:54 PM
  • It's awesome that we have to second guess Microsoft's own training materials when we study for the exam.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for your comment. I take your point. As you know, any technical book will have errors of one kind or another, be they technical, typographical, factual, or otherwise, and this 70-646 text is no exception.

Fortunately, however, Microsoft Press seems to have editorial staff who work post-release to correct any errors discovered by themselves or their readers. It's an ongoing process, since some errors only reveal themselves with time, but Microsoft Press seems to do a good job generally of providing us with high quality books.

The only recent text that was of questionable quality was the 70-680 Training Kit, which was replete with errors. It's the only Microsoft text that I ever gave a 3/5 star rating on Amazon. However, Microsoft Press has been diligently working on correcting these errors in the years following release, and the 70-680 text can now be considered to be reasonably error free, although still not necessarily the best text for the exam.

On the other hand, I know of some other publishers who publish few or no errata for their error-riddled books. This might give the perception that their books are error-free, but it's the unwary student who will ultimately suffer. Therefore, I prefer Microsoft Press' approach.

If you're studying for the 70-646 exam, I wish you every success.

James

Thursday, January 24, 2013 6:14 PM