WHS 2011 - System restore after changing motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a major hardware failure on my WHS 2011 server.  RAM is failing a memory test and the hard drives won't spin up.  My best guess is that the 4 year old motherboard is on its way out.  I've been using a complete server backup to an external USB disk to backup the OS partition and all data so hopefully a restore will be possible to a new hard disk.  My question is - if I replace major components like the motherboard, processor & RAM will I still be able to do a normal system restore or will I need to do a clean install, then find a way to pull down my data only?  I haven't done a WHS OS restore before so any links to documentation for the correct procedure in this instance would probably be helpful.  Thanks!
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 10:23 PM

All replies

• It can be done. The problem gets more interesting if you change major component parts such as motherboard, cpu, drives and ram.

The restore may not contain the new chipset drivers. When changing major component parts I would opt to do a fresh and clean

install and then restore the data.

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:55 AM
  • Thanks Garry.  From reading around it looks like I may need to do a "repair" after doing the restore to sort out the hardware differences.  It sounds like this is the recommended approach so I'll give it a shot.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:46 PM
  • I appear to be in the same situation.  I am running my WHS2011 off of pretty old hardware (Asus A8n sli mobo, fx-60 cpu and 3gb of ram), and decided it was time to make it a bit beefier.  I am going to replace the motherboard, cpu and the ram, and was worried about resetting up the machine.  If I have to reinstall I am not too worried as all of my data resides on drives separate from the OS, I just hope adding the data back in will be fairly straightforward.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Just as an update in hopes that this helps somebody else out in the future, I swapped out my old equipment with a core i3 550 cpu, gigabyte motherboard and 8gbs of ram.  Everything was recognized on the reboot and all drivers were installed, only had to reactivate WHS and now everything is running smoothly.
    • Proposed as answer by eph.one Monday, May 14, 2012 12:41 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Just as an update in hopes that this helps somebody else out in the future, I swapped out my old equipment with a core i3 550 cpu, gigabyte motherboard and 8gbs of ram.  Everything was recognized on the reboot and all drivers were installed, only had to reactivate WHS and now everything is running smoothly.
    Thank you for this post, I'm about to backup my data to Crashplan and then try this out. Much appreciated.
    Monday, May 14, 2012 12:42 AM