If you dont go genuine.. then what? RRS feed

• Question

•   Just wondering what would happen to your computer, if you DO have a version of Windows XP Pro or Home that is "not" genuine and you dont make it "genuine" at any point in time.

Example, is MS going to release say a " SP3 " update some time in the near future for Windows XP that ONLY genuine WinXP users can download / install and use?   Will non-genuine computer users eventually be forced to pay up or their computer will just stop functioning?  Or will the computers continue to function normally, but just never receive new updates etc.

On another note, the price that is listed on the "buy genuine" webpage for your country, is that in our currency or american currency?     I live in Toronto, Canada.  So I want to know if I would be billed for $199 american (which is about $233 canadian) or $199 canadian?  

It is my understanding, that if I was to purchase a hard drive and an OEM version of Windows from any retailer in my area and I happen to update my motherboard sometime down the road (after installing windows with that new key of course).  That the OEM key that I bought from that retailer would no longer be good on my "updated system".     Is there a way to wipe that key from the old system, so it would be possible to re-use that purchased OEM key once again on an "upgraded" system? 

I have also read that the WGA Kit that can be purchased online with the email link, contains the cd for the retail version that you would buy in stores.  That version IS possible to move around onto the same computer that receives and update sometime down the road.   Correct?? 

Thanks for answering my questions.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:02 AM

Answers

•  Nerve2499 wrote:

Just wondering what would happen to your computer, if you DO have a version of Windows XP Pro or Home that is "not" genuine and you dont make it "genuine" at any point in time.

Your computer will continue to function normally.  Your installation of XP will continue to get Automatic Updates if it is set to get them.  You will not be able to visit Windows/Microsoft Updates to download updates manually.  You will not be able to get some nice-to-have downloads from MS downloads.

Nerve2499 wrote:
        Example, is MS going to release say a " SP3 " update some time in the near future for Windows XP that ONLY genuine WinXP users can download / install and use?   Will non-genuine computer users eventually be forced to pay up or their computer will just stop functioning?  Or will the computers continue to function normally, but just never receive new updates etc.

XP SP3 is scheduled for mid-to-end of summer 2007.  Since SP1 and SP2 were not able to be installed on certain notoriously pirated copies of XP, it would be reasonable to expect more of the same, up to and including restricting installation to Genuine installations only.  MS employees in this forum have stated that current plans call for Vista upgrades to NOT install on nongenuine installations of XP.

IMO it would be technically and probably legally impossible for MS to try to "turn off" nongenuine installations of XP.  But, I am neither a MS manager, software developer, nor an attorney, so don't go by what I write.

Nerve2499 wrote:
      On another note, the price that is listed on the "buy genuine" webpage for your country, is that in our currency or american currency?     I live in Toronto, Canada.  So I want to know if I would be billed for $199 american (which is about $233 canadian) or $199 canadian? 

Based on previous posts from Canada, the price on the page is listed in local currency, so for you it would be $199 Canadian.  (The USD price is $149 for Pro, $99 for Home.)

Nerve2499 wrote:
    It is my understanding, that if I was to purchase a hard drive and an OEM version of Windows from any retailer in my area and I happen to update my motherboard sometime down the road (after installing windows with that new key of course).  That the OEM key that I bought from that retailer would no longer be good on my "updated system".     Is there a way to wipe that key from the old system, so it would be possible to re-use that purchased OEM key once again on an "upgraded" system?

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed and are not allowed to be moved from that computer to another.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since it is really a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base or foundation component that defines a particular computer.

If the motherboard in a computer is replaced in order to attain a peformance upgrade, then the OEM license first installed on the computer stays with the replaced motherboard, and the newly constituted computer as represented by the new motherboard needs a new license.

If the motherboard in a computer is replaced due to a defect or repair, and the replacement motherboard is designated by the computer manufacturer as the official replacement, then the OEM license first installed on the computer remains valid.

Nerve2499 wrote:
    I have also read that the WGA Kit that can be purchased online with the email link, contains the cd for the retail version that you would buy in stores.  That version IS possible to move around onto the same computer that receives and update sometime down the road.   Correct??

The Genuine Windows Offer Kit contains a full retail license for the edition of XP that is already installed in nongenuine status on your computer.  Full retail licenses for XP are the most flexible license:  these licenses can be installed on any computer regardless of whether it had a previous Windows Operating System installed or not, and these licenses can be moved from one computer to the other as many times as you want, as long as the license is activated on only one computer at a time.  Changing motherboards or any other hardware is immaterial to the validity of the license, although a large number of changes may require that the installation be reactivated, which can be done without limit.  The GWO Kit also includes a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the envelope the Kit comes in, and the Product Key that is emailed to the purchaser shortly after the purchase.

Nerve2499 wrote:

You're welcome!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:52 AM
  • Being single does not affect the cost of a Genuine Windows License in any way.

The price will remain at £92.00 whether you are single, married, co-habiting and so forth.

Remember there are other online stores such as PC World who may have deals on...

Good Day :)

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:14 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you purchase a genuine "Full Retail" version of Windows XP and all your concerns will be eliviated.
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:37 AM
  •  Nerve2499 wrote:

Just wondering what would happen to your computer, if you DO have a version of Windows XP Pro or Home that is "not" genuine and you dont make it "genuine" at any point in time.

Your computer will continue to function normally.  Your installation of XP will continue to get Automatic Updates if it is set to get them.  You will not be able to visit Windows/Microsoft Updates to download updates manually.  You will not be able to get some nice-to-have downloads from MS downloads.

Nerve2499 wrote:

XP SP3 is scheduled for mid-to-end of summer 2007.  Since SP1 and SP2 were not able to be installed on certain notoriously pirated copies of XP, it would be reasonable to expect more of the same, up to and including restricting installation to Genuine installations only.  MS employees in this forum have stated that current plans call for Vista upgrades to NOT install on nongenuine installations of XP.

IMO it would be technically and probably legally impossible for MS to try to "turn off" nongenuine installations of XP.  But, I am neither a MS manager, software developer, nor an attorney, so don't go by what I write.

Nerve2499 wrote:

Based on previous posts from Canada, the price on the page is listed in local currency, so for you it would be $199 Canadian.  (The USD price is $149 for Pro, $99 for Home.)

Nerve2499 wrote:

OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed and are not allowed to be moved from that computer to another.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since it is really a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base or foundation component that defines a particular computer.

If the motherboard in a computer is replaced in order to attain a peformance upgrade, then the OEM license first installed on the computer stays with the replaced motherboard, and the newly constituted computer as represented by the new motherboard needs a new license.

If the motherboard in a computer is replaced due to a defect or repair, and the replacement motherboard is designated by the computer manufacturer as the official replacement, then the OEM license first installed on the computer remains valid.

Nerve2499 wrote:

The Genuine Windows Offer Kit contains a full retail license for the edition of XP that is already installed in nongenuine status on your computer.  Full retail licenses for XP are the most flexible license:  these licenses can be installed on any computer regardless of whether it had a previous Windows Operating System installed or not, and these licenses can be moved from one computer to the other as many times as you want, as long as the license is activated on only one computer at a time.  Changing motherboards or any other hardware is immaterial to the validity of the license, although a large number of changes may require that the installation be reactivated, which can be done without limit.  The GWO Kit also includes a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the envelope the Kit comes in, and the Product Key that is emailed to the purchaser shortly after the purchase.

Nerve2499 wrote:

You're welcome!

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:52 AM
  • i am a single person how can i afford 92pound
    Saturday, July 29, 2006 2:28 PM
  • If the motherboard in a computer is replaced in order to attain a peformance upgrade, then the OEM license first installed on the computer stays with the replaced motherboard, and the newly constituted computer as represented by the new motherboard needs a new license.

I'm seeking clarification on this particular licensing term, as I bump into it daily at my work. Repairing PCs out-of-warranty.

1. Can you provide the relevant sections of the OEM EULA that supports this?

2. Is there a difference between 'manufacturer's warranty repair' and 'out-of-warranty repair' as far as the licensing goes? I mean if the board is fried and unusable, and according to you, in such case license can 'transfer' to a new board, what's the difference between 'designated official replacement' and 'any motherboard'?

And if there is no difference, I'm sure all 'upgrades' can be made 'repairs' with some creative use of electricity across the fragile electronics.

However, if there IS a difference, effectively buying OEM computer+license means that your license is good for one year (manufacturers warranty), and after that until the board decides to die. At which point the OEM license becomes a very very bad deal.

3. Who decides what's a 'computer manufacturer's designated official replacement' if the 'manufacturer' of the computer is the actual end user (selfbuilt)? I can designate what I damn well choose as my 'official replacement' when my board fails, no? Is MS going to challenge this beyond silly time-wasting phone activation and the requirement to lie to the drone that it's a warranty replacement?

Additionally I'd love to know if such licensing term is actually legal in all european countries. Over here we have actual consumer protection laws, and saying 'sorry, your computer's motherboard broke and its no longer in warranty so you have to buy *new software* because this neccessary repair (board swap) made it a new computer according to these licensing terms you have never heard of' is something I'd wager would not fly if tested in court.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 6:58 AM
  • Being single does not affect the cost of a Genuine Windows License in any way.

The price will remain at £92.00 whether you are single, married, co-habiting and so forth.

Remember there are other online stores such as PC World who may have deals on...

Good Day :)

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:14 PM
  • I strongly agree with this!

Im not going to get the identical board i used before where i registered my windows xp coz dang, it's a AGP type and not even a dual core capable!

mobo's nowadays should be conroe capable....
    Sunday, August 6, 2006 11:13 AM
  • dude, so not cool!  Ok i understand that big MS wants to make sure that I'm not taking the copyof windows and 'spreading the love', but i'm not trying to do that.  My story is similar I had a computer that was a piece of *** and it keep locking up at the suggestion of some IT guys i got windows xp on my old system.  sorry to say it didn't help the computer so i did to it what the both from Office Space did to thier lovely pieces of office equipment.  meanwhile my husband goes and buys this computer from a guy at work and when we hook it up it says that this is a illiegal copy of XP.  it's a good thing i don't know that guy.  so what i wouldl like to do it just take my copy of xp and put it on this computer.  like i said before i'm not trying to go forth and prosper with your xp but I would like the option of putting the $100 system to some use.  and i can beat that other lady i am an at home mom with 2 kids and sometimes feels like 3 with the husband count yourself lucky it's just you!!

ps what is the # to phone register, if i need to?

Monday, August 7, 2006 4:45 AM