MCTS exam prep questions and confusion about answers RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking at some practice questions, and one had me curious. Do I need to answer based on how the test was probably written as opposed to what is currently true, or am I reading the question wrong?

Which of the following pieces of information is available through the SqlServerEnumerator object (choose all that apply).
    A
    . The name of the SQL Server
    B
    . The number of databases currently on the server
    C
    . The version number of the server
    D
    . The instance name for servers that are not running default instances

I had chosen all (A, B, C, D) but according to the answers, it has

B. Incorrect: The number of databases is not provided by the SqlServerEnumerator object.

However, in my opinion, it should be included. The information is available, though not directly available, as follows:

System.Data.Sql.SqlDataSourceEnumerator.Instance.GetDataSources().AsEnumerable().Count();

So, I would like advice from those who have taken certification exams to guide me. I have not worked with .NET 2.0 in a long time, so I don't know what was not available compared to 3.5 and 4.0, and am concerned I could lose points over something like this.

Also, since I have not taken an exam as of yet, what is the policy procedure if you fail? Do you know why you fail (which questions)? Can you dispute it? Do you ever win in a dispute? 

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 1:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I never heard of a dispute and you will never get details about the questions and you are not even allowed to talk about them (NDA agreement!)

But with that question:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sql.sqldatasourceenumerator.getdatasources.aspx

If you count the entries, you do not get get number of databases per instance. You get the number of the Servers that the enumerator was able to find. That are two different thing!

So you could find something like: ServerA running default instance on SQL Server 2008 and ServerB running Instance SQLSERVEREXPRESS in the 2005 Version. But the number of databases inside each instance is still unknown.

So that shows, that one important thing is to read the question very carefully. So on all my exams I simply took time to think in detail about each question.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: typo fixed

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

In addition to what Konrad stated:

When the test is over you'll receive a scorecard which shows your final score. It also shows the areas which needs training (more development). Those should be the areas to focus on. And personally i think that although one question might be the difference between failure and succes it should not be the case of that one single question. In this case Korad describes it perfectly. So if you have doubts about a question post it here or another forum to see if others feel the same way. You see that you do get respons on that.

And for what it is worth you are able to dispute questions. The process is long and you won't get a detailed answer but just a clarification that you were either right or wrong. But then again we never know which answers were wrong no do we ;-)

Maurice

• Proposed as answer by JohnOnline Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I never heard of a dispute and you will never get details about the questions and you are not even allowed to talk about them (NDA agreement!)

But with that question:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sql.sqldatasourceenumerator.getdatasources.aspx

If you count the entries, you do not get get number of databases per instance. You get the number of the Servers that the enumerator was able to find. That are two different thing!

So you could find something like: ServerA running default instance on SQL Server 2008 and ServerB running Instance SQLSERVEREXPRESS in the 2005 Version. But the number of databases inside each instance is still unknown.

So that shows, that one important thing is to read the question very carefully. So on all my exams I simply took time to think in detail about each question.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Edit: typo fixed

Wednesday, August 25, 2010 2:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

In addition to what Konrad stated:

When the test is over you'll receive a scorecard which shows your final score. It also shows the areas which needs training (more development). Those should be the areas to focus on. And personally i think that although one question might be the difference between failure and succes it should not be the case of that one single question. In this case Korad describes it perfectly. So if you have doubts about a question post it here or another forum to see if others feel the same way. You see that you do get respons on that.

And for what it is worth you are able to dispute questions. The process is long and you won't get a detailed answer but just a clarification that you were either right or wrong. But then again we never know which answers were wrong no do we ;-)

Maurice

• Proposed as answer by JohnOnline Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 9:29 PM