none
Product activation error 0x80004005

Question

• I just purchased the Genuine Advantage XP pro product key, and received it straightaway by email.  I went thru the procedure as directed, and entered the product key supplied, but in the end it said the installation failed. I tried again and got a message to the effect that the key entered did not match.  I re-booted anyway and now find that I cannot log on at all, but am faced with the repeated message:

Windows Product Activation:  A problem is preventing windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x80004005

I can only go into safe mode.  My machine is now useless, having just paid a large sum for the genuine key.  I am now using my wife's MacBook but I can't do any serious work as all my stuff is on the PC.
    Please advise urgently!

A somewhat different problem:  I had installed various languages, and now find that in safe mode the language has defaulted to Arabic, and I can't find the language bar to switch back to English.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 7:26 PM

Answers

• Aziz,

Curious where did you purchase the XP Pro product key and did you receive a genuine Windows XP disc with the purchase? The error code you are receiving 0x80004005 indicates one or more Windows files are modified or corrupted.  Please use the Windows XP genuine disc and use the key recently purchased and reinstall Windows fresh. Please ensure all your critical data is completly backed up.  Should you have any further question please re-post here.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:27 PM
  • The product was purchased online direct from microsoft-  how else?  The code was sent by email.  I am waiting for the disc to arrive by mail. One reason why I purchased the product key was to avoid a fresh reinstall.

Is there some way at least to use my computer in the meantime before the disc arrives?
    Thanks for your quick response.  I will also try to call the local MS office and see if they can offer any immediate help.

Aziz
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Good Morning Aziz,

The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers.  The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files.  Miss-configured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, popup blockers and miss-configured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing.  Please address these possibilities and try again.  Some previous posters have reported that temporarily changing to different DNS servers helped them work around the problem.

The Key Updater Utility needs full access to the internet.  If you are running a firewall, please make a special rule to allow the Utility to have full access.  In some cases, it may be necessary to temporarily disable firewalls as well as the aforementioned programs if they are interfering with the Utility.

Should this not work Azia then you will have to wait for the WGA kit to arrive and perform a complete installation. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:33 PM
  • I have removed these antivirus programs etc, but I cannot remove the Kerio Personal Firewall in safe mode as the Windows Installer cannot be accessed. I don't know if this is causing the problem but any suggestions how to remove it?

How do you change DNS servers?

Thanks for your attention and suggestions.

aziz

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Aziz,

Can you boot the system normally? If so try and disable Kerio Firewall through the software.  As far as changing DNS servers please call your Internet Server Provider. They can assist you with this.  Also you can post in one of our other newsgroups @:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter . Please post back and let us know how things are going.

Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Stephen,
    I got the WGA kit today and installed via safe mode.  I chose the 'upgrade" option.  The installtion went smoothly, but towards the end there was an error message that "setup cannont copy eula.txt".  I chose to continue - I hope this is not something serious.  The activation also was completed automatically and painlessly.  So far things seem to have got back to normal, except for some reason the star up screen, on rebooting, stops and a certain page and requires me to press F1 to continue. I don't know why.  The start up is also a bit slow.
    So it's a great relief -  it was not nice to feel being locked out of your own computer.
    aziz

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Aziz,

Glad you are up and running although I would recommend a clean installation vs upgrading. I will attach a link for the Windows XP Solution Center http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173 Please review this information. It may benefit you to perform a clean installation. Also the eula.txt error you mention is a file which you can read explaining the licensing agreement should you have any questions. 

Take care and have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, September 21, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Aziz,

The WGA Kit gives you a full retail license for XP.  Ths license allows you to move it from one computer to another, and is in no way linked to the original computer as an OEM license would be.

From your symptoms I would say you might have a hardware problem.  Test your hard disk(s) using the hard disk drive manufacturer's test utilities, and test your memory using a memory tester program.

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:11 PM
  •  secprn wrote:
    Hi Dan,

I am Prince from chandigarh. I download  win-2003  R  enterprise  edition  n  activate  for 180 days trial version.  due  to time  problem on my machine i changed its CMOS  battery, i forgot to change time and now it showing Window expired only safe mode is working without networking. Please tell me how can i activate my window. Its really urgent for me.

Please reply me on my hotmail id: prince.ids@hotmail.com.

Thanks & Regards

Prince

There is no method to reset the activation for a trial version of Windows Server 2003.  You'll need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows Server 2003 again.

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:43 PM

All replies

• Aziz,

Curious where did you purchase the XP Pro product key and did you receive a genuine Windows XP disc with the purchase? The error code you are receiving 0x80004005 indicates one or more Windows files are modified or corrupted.  Please use the Windows XP genuine disc and use the key recently purchased and reinstall Windows fresh. Please ensure all your critical data is completly backed up.  Should you have any further question please re-post here.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:27 PM
  • The product was purchased online direct from microsoft-  how else?  The code was sent by email.  I am waiting for the disc to arrive by mail. One reason why I purchased the product key was to avoid a fresh reinstall.

Is there some way at least to use my computer in the meantime before the disc arrives?
    Thanks for your quick response.  I will also try to call the local MS office and see if they can offer any immediate help.

Aziz
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Good Morning Aziz,

The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers.  The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files.  Miss-configured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, popup blockers and miss-configured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing.  Please address these possibilities and try again.  Some previous posters have reported that temporarily changing to different DNS servers helped them work around the problem.

The Key Updater Utility needs full access to the internet.  If you are running a firewall, please make a special rule to allow the Utility to have full access.  In some cases, it may be necessary to temporarily disable firewalls as well as the aforementioned programs if they are interfering with the Utility.

Should this not work Azia then you will have to wait for the WGA kit to arrive and perform a complete installation. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:33 PM
  • I have removed these antivirus programs etc, but I cannot remove the Kerio Personal Firewall in safe mode as the Windows Installer cannot be accessed. I don't know if this is causing the problem but any suggestions how to remove it?

How do you change DNS servers?

Thanks for your attention and suggestions.

aziz

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:53 PM
  • Aziz,

Can you boot the system normally? If so try and disable Kerio Firewall through the software.  As far as changing DNS servers please call your Internet Server Provider. They can assist you with this.  Also you can post in one of our other newsgroups @:  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter . Please post back and let us know how things are going.

Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Stephen,
    I got the WGA kit today and installed via safe mode.  I chose the 'upgrade" option.  The installtion went smoothly, but towards the end there was an error message that "setup cannont copy eula.txt".  I chose to continue - I hope this is not something serious.  The activation also was completed automatically and painlessly.  So far things seem to have got back to normal, except for some reason the star up screen, on rebooting, stops and a certain page and requires me to press F1 to continue. I don't know why.  The start up is also a bit slow.
    So it's a great relief -  it was not nice to feel being locked out of your own computer.
    aziz

Friday, September 21, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Aziz,

Glad you are up and running although I would recommend a clean installation vs upgrading. I will attach a link for the Windows XP Solution Center http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173 Please review this information. It may benefit you to perform a clean installation. Also the eula.txt error you mention is a file which you can read explaining the licensing agreement should you have any questions. 

Take care and have a great weekend.

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, September 21, 2007 8:35 PM
  • Stephen,

I'm back to using the MacBook again!
    I did a clean reinstall, which worked for about 3 hours.  After automatic updates and the computer tried to reboot I got the message "Disk boot failure.  Insert system disk..."

So I put in the xp disk.  That led to a new set up screen and reinstalling, but after loading files and reconfiguring and restarting the computer, it goes back to the loop.  If I take out the disk, I get the same error message.  I have tried this 4 or 5 times with the same result.  I replaced the hard disk - reformatted etc.  but the process still keeps me in the same unending loop.  I simply cannot get the installation to continue.

Is it my computer hardware that is at fault?  If I change the motherboard, and/or put in new drives etc.  will the WGA kit still work, or will I have just wasted the money getting this kit.

I have had no end of problems since getting the WGA online, and even now with the physical kit.  All was working well before!

Any suggestions?  ( and how about a refund?)

aziz

Monday, October 1, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Aziz,

The WGA Kit gives you a full retail license for XP.  Ths license allows you to move it from one computer to another, and is in no way linked to the original computer as an OEM license would be.

From your symptoms I would say you might have a hardware problem.  Test your hard disk(s) using the hard disk drive manufacturer's test utilities, and test your memory using a memory tester program.

Monday, October 1, 2007 5:11 PM
  • Hi Dan,

I am Prince from chandigarh. I download  win-2003  R  enterprise  edition  n  activate  for 180 days trial version.  due  to time  problem on my machine i changed its CMOS  battery, i forgot to change time and now it showing Window expired only safe mode is working without networking. Please tell me how can i activate my window. Its really urgent for me.

Thanks & Regards

Prince

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:35 PM
  •  secprn wrote:
    Hi Dan,

Thanks & Regards

Prince

There is no method to reset the activation for a trial version of Windows Server 2003.  You'll need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows Server 2003 again.

Monday, October 8, 2007 4:43 PM
  • I would just like to give a final update in case people are wondering what has happened.

The problem was indeed traced to a harddisk failure.  Not the master harddisk, but the slave harddisk, on which I had stored all my data files unfortunately,  thinking that was a safe place to put them.  I have now replaced it.  There has been no further problems - so far.  In fact the computer is now working much better than before.

I would still like to say that the initial activation error, after downloading the activation key and following the directions to instal on line, which was supposed to instal effortlessly without disturbing the existing system, was a disaster.  Could not microsoft tweak the process such that if some error does occur  the user (who is the paying consumer) is not completely locked out of his computer, being left high and dry waiting anxiously for the arrival of the physical kit, and finally having to do a complete re-instal?  Or at the very least, very clear warnings of the possiblity of being locked out should be given, and the user should be given a choice between doing the (effortless) insallation on line, and doing it manually after the kit is delivered.

Anyway thanks for all the help.  All's well that ends well, i hope.
    Best regards

aziz
    Tuesday, October 16, 2007 9:34 AM