UpNP with FiOS Actiontec Router

Question

• I put my WHS behind my FiOS actiontec router.  I tried to have WHS configure the router, but it kept saying that upnp fuction not supported (or something like that).  So I went in to the router and looked for upnp options.  It only had one.  The choice was to publish the main WAN address only or to publish all WAN addresses.  The defaul setting was for the main address only.  WHS would not work with this setting.  So I set it to publish all and now it works (mostly).  WHS was then able to configure the router for me. 

Now my question is am I exposing my home PC's to any kind of extra risk by using this setting on the router?  All of  my PC's at home have a software firewall as well.

And..while I am on the firewall, I am just using the windows firewall that came with WHS.  Do I need something more robust?

TIA

Steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

• I believe your router is a "dumbed down" version of the ActionTec MI-424 WR. There's a set of guides on PortForward.com that show how to forward various ports manually. Here's one for Remote Desktop, which you don't need specifically, but it shows the steps. The ports you will actually want to forward are 80 (optional, but recommended), 443, and 4125.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 4:25 PM

All replies

• I believe your router is a "dumbed down" version of the ActionTec MI-424 WR. There's a set of guides on PortForward.com that show how to forward various ports manually. Here's one for Remote Desktop, which you don't need specifically, but it shows the steps. The ports you will actually want to forward are 80 (optional, but recommended), 443, and 4125.
    Friday, January 25, 2008 4:25 PM
  •  

when i try to do the Router Configuration Details

I get 

green : Verifting that your router supports Upnp standards

yellow: Configuring you router

green: Verifying that your Web Site is available on you Home Server

red:   Verifying that remote Access is available on your home Server

On my FIOS Actiontec Rounter

I have added the following the port forwarding

HTTP - TCP Any - > 80

HTTPS  - TCP Any  ->443

Application - TCP Any -> 4125 (remote Access)

But i still get the above results.. and anyone please help me

Ryan

Saturday, February 09, 2008 3:43 PM
  • I'm not completely certain, but I think Verizon blocks port 80.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:24 PM
  • I am also having a similar problem, but am able to access 'remote access' but not RD, with a time error occuring.  I have forwared all ports to the WHS.
    Friday, March 05, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Start your own thread ;-) this one is two years old.

Where are you trying to access your server from?  Most work places will block RDP, as will a lot of schools - best way to test this is to try it out at a web cafe or a friends house.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by schlesin9865 Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:32 PM
    Friday, March 05, 2010 4:11 PM
  • To close the loop on my problem above, my WHS is now working with this setup

From above "I am also having a similar problem, but am able to access 'remote access' but not RD, with a time error occuring.  I have forwared all ports to the WHS."

ActionTec Router - Model MI424WR
    Fios - Northern NJ
    WHS
    Port Forwarding (443 and 4125 TCP only - 80 is not used)

After to much time, it appears my problem was related to an issue where my port forwarding configuration was not being recognized, until I did a full reboot of my router (by actually unplugging the device).  A good way to test is pointing your Router DMZ to your WHS and testing, this told me that my problem was my router and NOT my ISP or WHS (since it then worked).  (I also tried to "reboot" the router from the router web frontend and still no dice, so make sure you actually unplug the device - router).

Thanks Al West for you help, appreciate the comments (did make sure I was testing from a area which remove the blocks on ports, as I also control the firewall at this location.)
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 7:42 PM