Error with MSCRMServices when trying to change CRM users RRS feed

• Question

•  

I wanted to upgrade to version 4.0 but I only have 5 licenses (for version 3.0 I had 10). Therefore the server setup is complaining.

So I tried to remove CRM users by starting the Bereitstellungsmanager (I don't know what that is called in English but this is the tool for adding/removing users). Unfortunately, it's not starting up but giving me the following error (translated literally from German):

"The server http://<servername>/MSCRMServices/ doesn't react anymore. It could be that it's temporarily unavailable or not a Microsoft CRMServer. It could also be that you don't have enough permissions for executing the user manager."

I am running the user manager as Administrator so I reckon I have enough rights. And it used to work when I setup the CRM 3.0 users almost a year ago.

Any idea what could be wrong is very much appreciated.

Regards,

Dirk.

Friday, August 1, 2008 7:42 AM

Answers

• try doing it through the application instead of the deployment manager.  In CRM, click on the user, hit more actions, then hit disable.  You cannot delete users, but by disabling them it will free up a seat.

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:34 AM

All replies

• try doing it through the application instead of the deployment manager.  In CRM, click on the user, hit more actions, then hit disable.  You cannot delete users, but by disabling them it will free up a seat.

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Dirk

You didn't say whether or not you managed to successfully upgrade to CRM 4.0.  Anyway, if you haven't managed it then if memory serves me correctly there is an option (tickbox) in the user account of each user which stops them from being able to see any data.  This would free up a CRM 3.0 licence.  If you freed up 5 licences, giving you 5 active licences, then it might allow you to upgrade fine.  After that all you would need to do is by the extra licences you need and then add them.  That would allow you to assign a licence to those users you previously unassigned earlier.

If you have upgraded and when you try to access your CRM site then what error message comes up on screen?  You might have to turn off (I think that's right) friendly error messages in your web browser in order to see what is happening.  Secondly you might want to activate Error Tracing, see the link below for details on how to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907490

That might give you a better idea of what's gone wrong.

Best I can think of right now.  Hope that helps.

Regards,

Douglas

Friday, August 1, 2008 10:42 AM
  •  

Thanks for your answers which make me optimistic.

In CRM, how do I get to the users to so that I can disable them? I couldn't find it.

Regards,

Dirk.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:34 AM
  • Hi again

If you are able to get into your CRM then you can go to Settings and into the area where you create new users.  Just go into a few accounts and set their accounts so that they can't read data thus freeing up a licence.

Sorry, been a while since I've used CRM 3.0.

Regards,

Douglas

Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:12 PM