none
Post a thread URL here if you came across a question which has been Marked as an "Answer" Wrongly by a Moderator or by OP himself RRS feed

• General discussion

• Part I :

Post a thread URL here if you came across a question which has been Marked as an "Answer" Wrongly by a Moderator or by OP himself

I am starting this thread as currently we are getting these issues at "Forums Issues (not product support)" Forum that Moderators are making mistakes in marking "Answers" which i personally don't agree. But for those community members who think that's the case they can put those threads URL here, so other Moderators / Administrators can benefit from it.

I want community members to participate in this to make the experience better for everyone. Looking forward for your help in this.

Thanks, Hasham

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:36 AM

All replies

• Ok, i will start:

This post has been marked as answer by a moderator, but in fact it is wrong like i have written in my post which also had been marked wrongly as the answer.

Don`t get me wrong by posting here. I think that the modeartors most of the time do an excellent job. I also agree with marking posts as answer because very often the op won`t come back to mark as answer. Most of these op`s are new forum users.

So usually if they leave a comment like "thanks this helped me" i often post a notice about marking as answer and the advantage for other users ( using the search and find the "Answered Question" tags ). And no, we don`t need to talk about the search of the forum ;-)

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/
    Friday, December 30, 2011 11:45 AM
  • I agree with you on this thread (BTW, took me a bit while to figure this out). 
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Friday, December 30, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Hasham,

so what is happening now ? I just checked the thread and still my post and the wrong one still are marked as answer.

Hannes

In a perfect world,

Monday, January 9, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Another week later still no reply. I guess i shouldn`t have posted here.
    Hannes

In a perfect world,

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:58 AM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/worddev/thread/c1a015cd-8b26-4f13-8155-690ad978a06f/

I posted the question as I was leaving work.  I open my email over breakfast the next morning and not only found replies, but Cindy Meister had marked them as answers before I even had a chance to view them.  I thought I had the right to determine if a reply answered my question!  Was I supposed to get up in the middle of the night and drive to the base to check my answer before it was considered abandoned?

Edward R. Joell MCSD MCDBA
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Heslacher;

As I understand it from the comment of this thread's creator on my original thread complaining about this issue ( http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/fb6c21b5-b634-440a-8de5-9b28191d26b0 ),  the purpose of this thread is to alert (and prove to some) moderators on those occasions when threads are wrongly marked as answers to that they can address the situation on the large scale not to fix each case where this has been done.  I hope they are compiling notes on how often this takes place and who does it.

• Edited by joeller Friday, January 20, 2012 3:20 PM corection
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi All,

I posted this thread and ended up finding the answer to it myself.  But, then, the Moderator marked someone else's additional comment to my answer response as the answer.

Sonny
    • Edited by Sonny T Friday, January 20, 2012 3:39 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 3:37 PM
  • This one is not really the moderator's fault.  I found this thread

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/3d0769d9-9ee0-4ad9-bec2-0eaa5ef83dc2

where the reply marked as the answer by the moderator had provided a file (probably an image) showing the answer.  But there is no image there any longer, only a red x.

So the marked answer says "This is the answer" then there is a big blank.

Friday, January 20, 2012 8:56 PM
  • I still see a picture in that reply fine. Try opening that thread in another browser.

My blog
    Friday, January 20, 2012 8:59 PM
  • This one shows the person answering did not completely read or failed to understand the orignal post and gave a totally fallacious answer, (which I proved was wrong by trying it), which was marked as answered by someone other than the original poster since he found his own solution. http://forums.asp.net/t/1576516.aspx/1

• Edited by joeller Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:34 PM Spelling
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:04 PM
  • On this thread the answerer proposed his reply as an answer before I even had a chance to view it.  And in fact the answer showed that he did not read the original post.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/servervirtualization/thread/c79fee20-8065-4724-964f-8adac4953ec1

Thursday, January 26, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Another week later still no reply. I guess i shouldn`t have posted here.
    Hannes

In a perfect world,

This thread creates a problem. The problem is that each one of these issues requires digging up the Moderators of the specific forum in order to reach a conclusion. Hasham is a volunteer and can't support such tasks.

The idea is that the Moderators will find this thread somehow, but that's very unlikely. Personally, I'm going to focus on what I think is the bigger problem... making sure the forums have a healthy community/group of active Moderators.

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:42 PM
    Owner
  • I still see a picture in that reply fine. Try opening that thread in another browser.

My blog

Sorry Naomi.  The Navy only installs IE 7 on its machines and does not give users rights to install anything else.  Since I am accessing thread at work, it is what it is.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:56 PM
  • But in many instances, the problem is that the moderators are in fact overly active.  Sometimes if a thread is allowed to perculate, a valid answer will be found and posted by someone else that had the same problem.  In many case even when the original questioner has moved on, someone else with the same problem comes along and sparks interest anew which can result in an answer.  I've seen this many times on the SharePoint forum  and on ESRI's GIS forums.  But when you terminate a thread by marking it incorrectly as answered, anyone else researching the problem will waste time attempting that erroneous solution, only to get frustrated when it doesn't work.  For years I stopped even looking at Microsoft Forums (particularly ASP.Net) because it seemed like every answer I found was wrong and I could only get valid responses from Experts Exchange.  When Experts Exchange started charging for the privilege of reading their answers I came back to the MS forums.

• Edited by joeller Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:28 PM Completion
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:07 PM
  • In such cases, it may depend on the moderator. He/she can unmark the original reply and mark new one, but this is unlikely situation to happen. I can tell for myself and a few other moderators I know that we do mark newer replies on the older threads as answers when it's clear it's an answer. I don't necessarily unmark original answer unless it's completely wrong.

My blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:12 PM
  •  I don't necessarily unmark original answer unless it's completely wrong.
    And those wrong answers are why we have this thread.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:31 PM