physical setup of WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I realize this is fairly fundamental but I am stymied.

Installed Windows Vail on new computer from Office Max (hp pavilion pc- p6320f; amd phenom II X4 820, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD; 64 bit OS). Installation requirements are that it be connected to a router; installation hung saying that router had to be connected to the computer- went to Office Max and got a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router. It has a ethernet cable on it and I connected it to the WHS computer and completed the installation. So far so good.

Now need to connect to the Internet and other computers in the house. The WHS computer and router are in the basement. We are connected to  the internet via DSL. The wireless DSL router is one floor up (in the laundry room) and is actually not connected to any computer. All the computers in the house have wireless network cards and are connected (to the internet) this way.

The HP pavilion has a wireless network card also. Should I connect to the internet and the other computers wirelessly (with my preinstalled network card) or do I connect something to my D-Link wireless router and connect to the other computers and the internet. I have a Wireless-G range expander (Linksys WRE54G) that can be connected to the router via an ethernet cable. 

I guess I don't understand where the mandatory router fits into the picture. I wish I had a diagram showing me the physical configuration I need for my hardware.

Please advise. Thanks.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:53 PM

Answers

• WHS requires a wired connection, not wireless.  You need a physical, hard wired connection between Vail and your DSL router. 

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I realize this is fairly fundamental but I am stymied.

Installed Windows Vail on new computer from Office Max (hp pavilion pc- p6320f; amd phenom II X4 820, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD; 64 bit OS). Installation requirements are that it be connected to a router; installation hung saying that router had to be connected to the computer- went to Office Max and got a D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router. It has a ethernet cable on it and I connected it to the WHS computer and completed the installation. So far so good.

Now need to connect to the Internet and other computers in the house. The WHS computer and router are in the basement. We are connected to  the internet via DSL. The wireless DSL router is one floor up (in the laundry room) and is actually not connected to any computer. All the computers in the house have wireless network cards and are connected (to the internet) this way.

The HP pavilion has a wireless network card also. Should I connect to the internet and the other computers wirelessly (with my preinstalled network card) or do I connect something to my D-Link wireless router and connect to the other computers and the internet. I have a Wireless-G range expander (Linksys WRE54G) that can be connected to the router via an ethernet cable. 

I guess I don't understand where the mandatory router fits into the picture. I wish I had a diagram showing me the physical configuration I need for my hardware.

Please advise. Thanks.

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:18 AM

All replies

• WHS requires a wired connection, not wireless.  You need a physical, hard wired connection between Vail and your DSL router. 

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I realize this is fairly fundamental but I am stymied.

Please advise. Thanks.

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:18 AM
  • BullDawg,

Thanks for your reply. I am going to move the DSL router to the basement. If I connect the DSL router to the WHS computer I assume I should remove the D Link router from the setup. Right?

Sunday, July 4, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Yes, but there are a million ways you could set this up.  You could configure the  dlink at a wireless bridge with WHS connected to it and it connected wirelessly to the DSL router.  

It all depends on how comfortable you are with home networking stuff.  It can get pretty complex if you've never done it.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Michael,

Thanks for your reply. When I brought the dsl router down to the basement the telephone jacks for the dsl router did not function appropriately. Therefore, I am going to try to connect a wireless bridge (the Linksys range extender) to the Dlink router which will then be connected wirelessly to the DSL router upstairs.

Should I just reinstall WHS-Vail from the beginning or should I try to install the Linksys software onto WHS-Vail now that it is connected?

Sunday, July 4, 2010 3:22 AM
  • I'll let Michael help you with this setup.  As he said, it can get a bit complicated.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

Michael,

Thanks for your reply. When I brought the dsl router down to the basement the telephone jacks for the dsl router did not function appropriately. Therefore, I am going to try to connect a wireless bridge (the Linksys range extender) to the Dlink router which will then be connected wirelessly to the DSL router upstairs.

Should I just reinstall WHS-Vail from the beginning or should I try to install the Linksys software onto WHS-Vail now that it is connected?

BullDawg
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:07 AM
  • It shouldn't require any changes on WHS.  Once you have the router set up as an access point or bridge, anything you connect to it should just see the rest of the network without any issues.

If that doesn't work, then there's something wrong with your network config.

Like I said, it can get tricky. 

Sunday, July 4, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Why would he even need the D-Link router, or the range extender for that matter if all the
    client computers are connecting wirelessly already to the DSL router (assuming a
    combination DSL router/modem)? Would he not just have to move the Server upstairs and
    direct (wire) connect to the DLS router? Maybe I am missing something?

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "Michael Coelho" wrote in message
    news:microsoft.en-US.whsvailbeta!98748e24-f6ba-4ce4-8077-f255224cefa0@social.msdn.microsoft.com...

It shouldn't require any changes on WHS. Once you have the router set up as an access
    point or bridge, anything you connect to it should just see the rest of the network
    without any issues.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Why would he even need the D-Link router, or the range extender for that matter if all the
    client computers are connecting wirelessly already to the DSL router (assuming a
    combination DSL router/modem)? Would he not just have to move the Server upstairs and
    direct (wire) connect to the DLS router? Maybe I am missing something but it looks to me
    like he is trying to overcomplicate the whole network.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --
    "Michael Coelho" wrote in message
    news:microsoft.en-US.whsvailbeta!98748e24-f6ba-4ce4-8077-f255224cefa0@social.msdn.microsoft.com...

It shouldn't require any changes on WHS. Once you have the router set up as an access
    point or bridge, anything you connect to it should just see the rest of the network
    without any issues.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Of course, I was assuming that moving the server wasn't an option.
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 7:59 PM