Phanton 1 hour difference causing refresh? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two desktops, one running Windows 7, the older one, destined to be relegated to a backup file system courtesy of SyncToy, running Windows XP. I have successfully set up and used several folder pairs over the few couple of weeks. However, I have just set up another pair and it lists just about every file out of 13,000 as needing a refesh because of a phantom one hour time difference. If I view the files in Windows Explorer on the two machines then the times are shown as identical. The file structure was copied across network from XP to Win7 a few weeks ago. This would have been before both machines added an hour to the system time to reflect Summer Time here in the UK, in case that is relevant. Any suggestions? I don't really want to concede a pointless refresh of 99.99% of the files in the hope that it's a one-time correction. I have tried Preview twice, with same result.

Thanks for reading - Dave

Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

I am sorry about the inconvenience. We have received reports about such issues with "Summer Time" or "Daylight Saving Time (DST)", and is now collecting information to find a way to fix or work around the issue. So far, no way has been found to work it around. SyncToy will usually work again after the refreshing.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 2:20 AM
  • Thanks JiGuang

Rather than refreshing with SyncToy I have copied the whole structure again using Windows Explorer, taking all options to overwrite. SyncToy can now find nothing to refresh. I hope you have a fix before the end of summer time when presumably the same issue could occur!

Regards - Dave

Friday, April 9, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Thanks JiGuang

Rather than refreshing with SyncToy I have copied the whole structure again using Windows Explorer, taking all options to overwrite. SyncToy can now find nothing to refresh. I hope you have a fix before the end of summer time when presumably the same issue could occur!

Regards - Dave

Friday, April 9, 2010 11:47 PM
  • JiGuang,

I have been having similar problems to what others have experienced. My situation is further complicated by the fact that the computers that I control are kept at CST because I am ingesting data from data loggers and want to avoid confusion.

That said, what would really help me is a way for me to guide the comparison algorithm (a checkbox perhaps) by specifying that two files with date-time *exactly* one hour different should be regarded as having the same time stamp. (The odds of two files that are identical by size and name but have time stamps exactly one hour apart are not actiually the same is virtually nil for any situation I would create.)

I know that doesn't 'get to the heart of the matter' but it would work very well for me.

Thanks.

Jim.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 7:29 PM