lost Windows Home Server installation disc RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop crashed and backed up everything on my HP MediaSmart Server running Windows Home Server. However, I didn't realize that I lost the Windows Home Server installation disc in during a move. So, when I performed a reboot of my laptop, I the Windows Home Server software was wiped off the computer. Now, I have all of my files on the MediaSmart server, but I can't access them because my laptop can use the MediaSmart Server without the Windows Home Server software.

How can I get another Windows Home Server installation disc? I have a product key on the bottom of my MediaSmart server.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, March 1, 2013 7:27 PM

All replies

• How did you "reboot our laptop"? Is your data in shared folders on your server - if so you should still be able to access it without the WHS software on your laptop. If you need to reinstall the software, best o contact HP.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Phil is correct that you don't need the connector to access the shares.

Presumably, though, that's not what you want to do; you want to restore your laptop. If you don't have the Home Computer Restore CD any more, you should be able to download what you need from here. Run the downloaded program, then follow the instructions in the readme file that will be placed alongside the .iso file that will be extracted.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:35 AM