WHS Freezes when I try read files from Shared Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I have just purchased and installed WHS on a 2 drive system.  Worked easily and backups work well.  But my problem is with data in shared folders.

I am aware of the problems with some applications and am following the advice to write and access using Windows Explorer.  I have even gone for the simplest of files - a text file created using Notepad.  I can write the file into a shared folder by dropping it using Windows Explorer.  If I switch to my server, the file is there and I can use WE to fire it up and it opens well in Notepad, so no corruption.  But if I try to do this from my attached computer Notepad fires up but then ....Nothing.  Well not exactly Nothing, because my WHS freezes, and I mean freezes.  It will accept one mouse click, then nothing.  You cannot use the reset on the remote console login - that doesn't work, and blipping the power button on the server doesn't work either - there is no graceful shutdown. (Before someone tells me that I may have to wait several minutes for this to respond, is 8 hours long enough?)  My only recourse is to hold the power switch and crash stop it.  It then comes bac up OK.

I am nearing my wits end with this and beginning to wish I'd just put a NAS in.  Is this product really of merchantable quality?

Please any help would be appreciated.  I have even considered replacing my 2 x 500GB drives with a single 1TB and reinstalling, but I don't really want that expense if I gain nothing by it!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:33 AM

Answers

• Update:

I may be getting somewhere and apologies to Microsoft.  It appears to be generated by an interaction between CA Internet Antivirus Suite installed on the server and remote reads, but not on-server reads.  If I snooze the AV on the server all works.  Any ideas on fixes?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:57 AM
  •  Andy E (UK) wrote:
    I may be getting somewhere and apologies to Microsoft.  It appears to be generated by an interaction between CA Internet Antivirus Suite installed on the server and remote reads, but not on-server reads.  If I snooze the AV on the server all works.  Any ideas on fixes?
    The solution is to remove CA AV from your server. The only AV product currently available that's designed to work on Windows Home Server is avast! antivirus.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the info Ken.  Very helpful.  I had already removed the CA AV and it seemed to cure the problem, but I don't like running with no AV active on the server.   I will try Avast!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:29 PM

All replies

• Update:

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:57 AM
  •  Andy E (UK) wrote:
    The solution is to remove CA AV from your server. The only AV product currently available that's designed to work on Windows Home Server is avast! antivirus.
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:02 PM
  • Thanks for the info Ken.  Very helpful.  I had already removed the CA AV and it seemed to cure the problem, but I don't like running with no AV active on the server.   I will try Avast!

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:29 PM