Home/Work vs. Public Firewall? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the difference between having the firewall set to "Home/Work" or to "Public"?

Does the "Public" setting make the firewall any more secure?

I'm running Windows XP SP3: Is there a difference if I just turned on the XP firewall and selected "No Exceptions"?

Thanks.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 10:25 PM

Answers

• Yes, Public is more secure.

From Instant Support:

"When OneCare detects a new network, you can select the zone. (A level of network security that is determined by a collection of firewall settings that are automatically configured by OneCare.) that you want to use. You can select Home or Work or Public Place. To help protect your computer, certain activities will be turned on or off in each zone. If you use a single computer that's not connected to a local network, if you use a dial-up connection, if you use a public wireless network, or if you don't use a router, we recommend that you select Public Place."

When you select Home or Work, activities that occur on the local network are typically allowed without needing to make changes.

Yes, there is a difference. You cannot use the Windows Firewall if you are running OneCare. Doing so would create a conflict. If you were to disable the OneCare firewall and use the Windows firewall, you would be in at risk status in OneCare. The OneCare firewall is a two way firewall, detecting outbound traffic as well as inbound. The XP firewall is inbound only.

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• Yes, Public is more secure.

From Instant Support:

"When OneCare detects a new network, you can select the zone. (A level of network security that is determined by a collection of firewall settings that are automatically configured by OneCare.) that you want to use. You can select Home or Work or Public Place. To help protect your computer, certain activities will be turned on or off in each zone. If you use a single computer that's not connected to a local network, if you use a dial-up connection, if you use a public wireless network, or if you don't use a router, we recommend that you select Public Place."

When you select Home or Work, activities that occur on the local network are typically allowed without needing to make changes.

Yes, there is a difference. You cannot use the Windows Firewall if you are running OneCare. Doing so would create a conflict. If you were to disable the OneCare firewall and use the Windows firewall, you would be in at risk status in OneCare. The OneCare firewall is a two way firewall, detecting outbound traffic as well as inbound. The XP firewall is inbound only.

-steve

Friday, August 8, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Thanks!  I think then, I'll change my firewall to "Public" for extra safety.

By the way, regarding my other post (before I forget): I was just throwing out some comments about OneCare that weren't directed at your response, which was helpful.  I am in general pleased with OneCare.

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:59 PM
  • No problems, Matthew. I don't take things personally  most of the time since I'm a fellow customer and not a Microsoft employee. I am glad that you are liking OneCare overall.

Friday, August 8, 2008 7:06 PM