home computer restore CD RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS circa 2009

I would like to create a restore CD for the home computers attached to my WHS.  Every link on the web leads to a dead end including the link on the home server itself.

does anyone have an active link?

regards
    David

Friday, July 8, 2016 3:04 PM

All replies

• You could check the second post in this FAQ:

How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment

Usually such environments like Windows to Go or another PC work even better, since there is less trouble with the recent network drivers.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 15, 2016 2:34 PM
  • And yet ANOTHER link which does not work. There is NOT A SINGLE link on the internet which works. Well done Microsoft - screwed us again!

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 3:22 PM
  • The link works fine for me!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Microsoft Forum links are sometimes dependent from language settings in your browser, which I too find seriously annoying.

This forum seems to work well with setting United States (English).

Are you able to navigate to the forum

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=whsfaq

and click the above FAQ there?

Olaf

Monday, July 18, 2016 6:52 AM
  • Hello Olaf

Thank you for replying - I have my language settings set to United States (English) already.

I can click to the forum you linked - not sure what 

"and click the above FAQ there?"

meant but I clicked the first entry which was

"For those posting in FAQ's, just a little FYI."

And read the entry - not sure that it helps me though -

So I have posted my question there as well but it does say

"Due to an issue with the forum software, posts that get sent to FAQ's can never be seen by us moderators even though it states we can."

I am a little desperate -  I just cannot find any active link.

regards
    David

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Hm, works, but sending the screenshot failed.

But here is the copy of the second posting for your convenience:

Alternatively you can try following method involving a 32 Bit Windows 7 bootable device like the installation DVD (DVD or USB stick):
    From Computer Restore CD copy following files into a folder WHS on an USB stick:
    backupapi.dll
    clfs.sys
    clientrestorewizard.exe
    itss.dll
    partnermanager.dll
    restorecdinit.exe
    transportserviceproxy.dll
    vfpodbc.dll
    whsdriversetup.exe

Create a restore.cmd batch file in that same folder with following content:
      @echo off
      for %%a in (*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %%a
      restorecdinit.exe

Boot from the Windows 7 external media and select, that you wish to repair the Computer. Open a command prompt and locate the folder WHS. (Tip: If you run notepad and use it's File/Open dialog, you can easy see, which drive letter is assigned to that USB stick).

In the command prompt, change to that drive (replace X: with the drive letter spotted before) and then to the folder with following commands:X:
    CD \WHS

Execute the restore.cmd, which has been created before (one or two files may generate error messages on registration attempt, this is an expected behavior).Since Windows 7 installation media has more hardware drivers included, you have better chances, that the connection works.

Hope this helps.
    Olaf

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:42 PM
  • Thank you Olaf

I will give this a go

regards

David

Saturday, July 23, 2016 8:54 PM