Can firewall duplication (Live OneCare plus Windows Firewall) block a friend's emails periodically? RRS feed

• Question

• One friend who uses Earthlink has intermittent trouble getting emails to me although I have her on my 'safe' list. She is the only one and I am trying to troubleshoo this problem.  I note that both my computer's Windows Firewall is on plus the OneCare firewall.  I seem to recall in the past that I was to turn off any Firewall other than OneCares.  Couild this be the reason the emails are blocked?

Thanks.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:21 PM

Answers

• You should most certainly not have both firewalls enabled - the Windows Firewall should have been disabled by OneCare.
    However, that wouldn't cause email from a specific sender to fail to arrive. It could cause *all* email to fail for you, but that isn't apparently happening to you.
    I suspect that there may be a problem between Earthlink and your email provider (since you mention safe list, I think you might be using Hotmail). It is possible that your email provider is blacklisting mail from the Earthlink server that your friend is sending through. She will need to contact Earthlink for help with this.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:32 PM

All replies

• You should most certainly not have both firewalls enabled - the Windows Firewall should have been disabled by OneCare.
    However, that wouldn't cause email from a specific sender to fail to arrive. It could cause *all* email to fail for you, but that isn't apparently happening to you.
    I suspect that there may be a problem between Earthlink and your email provider (since you mention safe list, I think you might be using Hotmail). It is possible that your email provider is blacklisting mail from the Earthlink server that your friend is sending through. She will need to contact Earthlink for help with this.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Thank youi for your help, Steve.

David
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:01 PM