office 2003 CD has no product key -- permanent key won't work

Question

• I am trying to reload the Office 2003 oon my new computer.  The key sent to me on the old computer by email won't work.  What do I do?
    Monday, September 25, 2006 8:34 PM

Answers

• Marcus,

If you are trying to install Office 2003 using an XP Product Key, it is not going to work.

What happened to the Product Key that you got when you purchased Office 2003?  Use that PK.

Monday, September 25, 2006 9:42 PM
  •  KY Cowgirl wrote:
    I'm having a similar problem. I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything, and now it's telling me that my cd key is invalid. I've tried 10 different keys and none of them work. I called the guy at Microsoft and he couldn't help me:( I have papers do for school and they are locked. Any advice would be great!!

How about trying the one that came with the product when you purchased it?  OEM Product Keys for MS Office are normally located on a CD-sized card that has the Certificate of Authenticity.  Retail Product Keys are printed on a yellow-orange sticker that is affixed to the plastic case that comes inside the retail box.

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:29 PM
  •  KY Cowgirl wrote:
    I tried that one and it has not worked.

Hi KY Cowgirl,

What I suggest is you open a support case with Microsoft Product Support (this is email support).

1) http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

2) Explain that you are unable to install Office and it tells you that you have an invalid product key.

3) Within the email, include all of 25-character product keys you have tried.  Ask Microsoft support to veirfy what the product keys are and if they are valid.

I wish we could help you with this via the forum, but it's not safe to post your product keys here.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:41 PM

All replies

• Marcus,

If you are trying to install Office 2003 using an XP Product Key, it is not going to work.

What happened to the Product Key that you got when you purchased Office 2003?  Use that PK.

Monday, September 25, 2006 9:42 PM
  • I have a product key still pasted on my original software box. I am trying to re-install it on a computer with XP-the same XP product as before.

It says Product Key is invalid.

does anyone know what to do next?

Saturday, October 07, 2006 6:26 PM
  • Lyn,

I have never seen a genuine retail package of XP that has the Product Key pasted on the software's retail box.  On retail packages of XP, the Product Key is on a yellow-orange label pasted to the folder in which the CD is stored, and the folder is contained inside the retail box.  Genuine retail boxes for XP do have the Certificate of Authenticity pasted on the boxtop, but that COA does not have a Product Key on it.

Are you sure this is a genuine MS product, could be a counterfeit.

Post back with more details.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 4:48 PM
  • Thanks for your quick reply.  This is an authentic copy of Microsoft xp Standard for Students and Teachers, Version 2002, but it downloads as 2003. 

The product is a rectangular orange sticker that says "Product Key" with a key icon and then the code underneath. 

it says," Don't Lose this number. You must use it to install this software. so be sure to store this folder in a safe place.

there is a 3 CD set (1) Installation CD (2)content CD, and (3) Step by step interactive training CD

All of the CD's are even pressed with the Microsoft holographic authenticity features.

I paid $140 for it at Office Max in 2003.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Lyn,

It seems that the product you have is Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition.

Are you trying to install or reinstall Microsoft Windows XP using the Product key for Office?  If so, that is not going to work.

If you need the Product Key for Windows XP, first look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity, which will have the PK if the computer came from its manufacturer/assembler with Windows XP preinstalled.  Here is what it will look like:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx, spefifically the ones described under the category "Preinstalled Windows COAs."

Monday, October 09, 2006 3:55 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem. I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything, and now it's telling me that my cd key is invalid. I've tried 10 different keys and none of them work. I called the guy at Microsoft and he couldn't help me:( I have papers do for school and they are locked. Any advice would be great!!
    Monday, January 22, 2007 3:54 AM
  •  KY Cowgirl wrote:
    I'm having a similar problem. I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything, and now it's telling me that my cd key is invalid. I've tried 10 different keys and none of them work. I called the guy at Microsoft and he couldn't help me:( I have papers do for school and they are locked. Any advice would be great!!

How about trying the one that came with the product when you purchased it?  OEM Product Keys for MS Office are normally located on a CD-sized card that has the Certificate of Authenticity.  Retail Product Keys are printed on a yellow-orange sticker that is affixed to the plastic case that comes inside the retail box.

Monday, January 22, 2007 9:29 PM
  • I tried that one and it has not worked.
    Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:09 AM
  •  KY Cowgirl wrote:
    I tried that one and it has not worked.

Hi KY Cowgirl,

What I suggest is you open a support case with Microsoft Product Support (this is email support).

1) http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029

2) Explain that you are unable to install Office and it tells you that you have an invalid product key.

3) Within the email, include all of 25-character product keys you have tried.  Ask Microsoft support to veirfy what the product keys are and if they are valid.

I wish we could help you with this via the forum, but it's not safe to post your product keys here.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, January 25, 2007 10:41 PM