Windows Home Server 2011 - Can't connect using http://{server_name}/connect RRS feed

• Question

• I have googled/binged every possible solution - I have 3 computers at home (2 W7 Ultimate x64 and 1 W7 Home Prem x86 laptop) - the two Ultimate machines connect to the home server using the installation procedure: http://{server_name}/connect - no problems.  However, my W7 Home Prem can see the home server via workgroup in windows explorer AND I can remote desktop to the server.  When I try and "download" the software via the http:___ method, I keep getting: "Cannot connect the computer to the server b/c either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending.  Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again."  I have rebooted the laptop and the home server several times - I cleared all temp files - nothing works.  Can't identify app/process that may still be running to kill it and let this run.  Very frustrating.............any ideas?
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• NickDOS

Ever installed a Logitech camera on the W7 Home Premium machine?

Try this:

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Hmm - same solution as frogz1 - didn't see that before posting!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by NickDOS Friday, July 1, 2011 11:10 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:33 PM

All replies

• Is it possible it is because the client has Win 7 Home Premium installed?  If I recall correctly Home Premium editions usually have less functionality than their more capable upgrades.  I will look into it once I get a free minute at work.

All my machines at home all have Ultimate x64 installed, however I could try to replicate it using Hyper-V or VMWare with one of my Technet Plus Subscription Home Premium .iso's.

D

MCTS | MCP | GCWN | GSEC | IAT II | A + | Network + | Server + | Security +
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Yes - the computer having this issue is W7 HP x86 - which according to MS is an acceptable client for WHS 2011.  If I could find the app/process/service that W7 "thinks" is still running, I assume I could kill it and start over?  Not sure.  My other two W7 U x64 machines had no issues w/ this process.

Friday, July 1, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Seems a pretty common problem there are several threads on this. Normally the following will clear the issue.

Any application can set a pending reboot flag in the operating system through a registry key. Sometimes a reboot does not clear the flag. This is what setup is detecting.

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

May Help

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:25 PM
  • NickDOS

Ever installed a Logitech camera on the W7 Home Premium machine?

Try this:

1. Open Regedit

Hmm - same solution as frogz1 - didn't see that before posting!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by NickDOS Friday, July 1, 2011 11:10 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Thanks - I tried this before but I booted after making reg change - my mistake - make change and DON'T reboot.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 11:12 PM
  • I've tried this but it doesn't work on any of my Windows 7 Home Premium machines.
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 1:43 AM