Set Excel 2007 as default RRS feed

• Question

• I have both Excel 2003 and 2007 installed in my local dev machine. Please let me know, how I can switch between 2003 and 2007 as the active version.

Since, I have first installed 2003 and then 2007, Excel 2007 was the default.

To make 2003 as default , I have tried the following : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver and this works fine.

However, to make 2007 as the default : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver , but this does Not Work !!

I tried changing the following registry entries, but this didn't help either in making 2007 Excel as default.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Application\CurVer]
    @="Excel.Application.12"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00024500-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgID]
    @="Excel.Application.12"

Please advice. Thanks
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:30 AM

Answers

• This is technically not a VSTO question. It belongs in an end-user newsgroup; you'll find a set of links to newsgroups in the forum's Please Read First message.

FWIW Office does not officially support parallel installations of Office applications. It can (usually) be done, but problems and conflicts can arise. As far as VSTO (the topic of this forum) goes, it is truly not supported and it is not guaranteed that VSTO will function properly. We recommend you use virtual machine software in order to provide a development and testing environment for various OS + Software version combinations.

Therefore, you will get no opinion on your request in the VSTO forum and I'm therefore moving this message to the off-topic forum.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:59 AM