none
Where can I ask about my problem: "I have a weird problem with a Junction (I think so anyway....)"

Question

• This is the text of my original question at answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures.  They suggested I try (--a link it wont let me post here--)  but that link doesn't seem to go to the right place either, so I am including the text of my original question here in the hope that you can find it an appropriate home.  Please note that I am neither an IT Pro, nor a developer; merely a busy taxonomist with a need to get back the proper use of my photographic library as soon as possible.  I do understand reasonable computer instructions (I've had a computer since the MS-DOS days) but this situation is driving me nuts.

I quote:

Hello there,

I have been forcibly migrated from 32bit Vista to 84bit 7 due to hardware issues, but due to various legacy data issues I need to keep using some old software, especially Kodak Easyshare.  I have over 35,000 photos in over 800 albums, and many of these photographs have links within Easyshare to three or more different albums. It is the structure of these albums which I really need to retain, as they are the index which allows me to access the right photo for the right taxonomic project. My files have been migrated since 2006 through three previous computers - each of which had a different file structure! and  I have finally hit trouble.

My Original files (before 2007-09-21) were in directories of the format C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\My Documents\My Pictures\... etc  

the file from 2007-09-22 to          C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\... etc

and so on.

I decided, for conformity and tidiness that I would transfer all of the photos to the directory in which my camera now automatically uploads (this is C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Kodak Pictures\... ). In order to keep my original album structure I copied my previous Easyshare Catalog files into my new installation - this worked fine as it restored the catalog without the files (or so I thought...)  All I had to do within Easyshare was to reconnect the files to the previous catalogue entries.  This worked fine for the first lot of files, but when I started on the files that used to be in  "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\... ", Easyshare is still listing these photos (as C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\..."  a directory which does not exist in my new computer setup!)  Consequently I cannot "re-connect" these photos as Easyshare thinks they are still there!  I am not too happy about this as there are several sets of the original photo files (some of which contain damaged files) living on my hard drive and I want to make sure Easyshare only uses the one set so I can delete all the odds and ends and just have one good set and the external drive backups for that set.  I need to do this because Easyshare has an unfix-able bug that sometimes changes the original file date to 1899/12/30 12.00 AM - I have been through and fixed the dates on the new versions of the files, but opening them in Easyshare reverts the dates to 1899/12/30 12.00 AM, whereas re-connecting the new files to the old catalog puts the correct date into the catalog - it is much easier to fix the dates outside of Easyshare and then reconnect the files!

Please help as this problem is preventing me from working on my book!

Yours Sincerely, Ms Jacq Felis.

I did some exploring with the command prompt and found a junction hidden in the root file of my hard drive vis - 2009/07/14  02:38 PM    <JUNCTION>     Documents and Settings [C:\Users] and I am wondering if this is the cause of the problem?  Can I change this? If so, how? Also if I do remove it, will it stuff anything else up?
    End Quote.

I await your assistance, Ciao, Jacq.
    • Moved by Mike Laughlin Monday, June 20, 2016 11:42 PM From 'Forums Issues' - not reporting an issue with the forums
    Monday, June 20, 2016 10:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Something here may help or consider running XP as a virtual machine until you get it sorted.

http://support.en.kodak.com/app/answers/list/p/4,52/src/goeasysharesupport_deutsch/selected/true

Also try them over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itprovirt

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, June 21, 2016 2:24 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 12:28 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had already had a pretty good look at the answers on the Kodak site.  Unfortunately, none of them help me with my particular problem and I can no longer get ANY direct help from Kodak. 

As for the Virtual machine suggestion, that is a bit like using a Sherman tank to crush a  walnut!  Easyshare itself runs perfectly fine on my 64bit Win 7 machine, just as it ran fine on XP and fine on Vista.  All I want to do is break the link to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\... etc" so I can reconnect the photos to their new location at "C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Kodak Pictures\... etc"

Can you suggest a forum location where I can discuss this?  I only included the question so you would have an idea of what I was trying to do, and thus know where to send me for help

Ciao, Jacq.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:00 PM
  • It likely isn't a real folder but exists as a symbolic link. For windows 7 issues I'd ask over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/home?category=w7itpro

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 11:06 PM