Cant Connect WHS (on wired network) to wireless laptops RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I have just installed WHS. Initially all was fine, Server was wired into a router (vigor) that is connected to 3 other wired PCs. But, when I tried to introduce a Wireless laptop, connecting into an AP wired to the router, there was no connectivity (no ping, no uPNP etc) between the laptop and the server.

The laptop can see the PCs OK and vice versa; the PCs can see the WHServer and vice versa but the Laptop cant see the Server and vice versa.

If I wire in the laptop, then all is ok, but defeats the object of my wireless side of the network (I also have a PSP3 that is wireless) . However, if I wire the Server into a wireless AP, then everything can see everything else (though of course the server is now wireless with all the inherent issues that brings).

Has anyone seen this (perhaps a 2003 server issue?) or have ideas of what might be blocking the connections when the server is wired?

thanks for any help

NS

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:55 PM

Answers

• so if anyone comes this way:

1) opened a few ports on the ws2003

2) turned of media support on the 3com

and it all works fine.

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:39 PM

All replies

• Sounds like your router or the AP is doing something different for wireless clients. What make/model is it? And please tell more about the AP.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:16 PM
  • Neil, is it possible that your wireless access point can act as a DHCP server, and is so configured? If so, then devices connected to your network through your WAP probably have a different subnet, and will be unable to see or interact with devices connected to your wired network.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Hi, in response to all: Wink

the router is a Vigor 2800 ADSL2+ Router, which is acting as the DHCP server for all PC's/Laptops/Servers (checked this is allocating addressess and all looks as expected)

the AP is a 3Com® OfficeConnect® Wireless 54 Mbps 11g Access Point (3CRWE454G75) which is a pretty basic model.

The odd thing is why it is only impacting the connection between the wireless attached units and the wired server, not the the other wired XP pc's

Thanks so far

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 3:49 PM
  • Check to see if your AP has "privacy separation" where it may separate traffic from wired/wireless clients.  Your manual should have something on this feature.  Disable it and you should be good to go.

-Eric
    http://www.MyHomeServer.com
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 4:08 PM
  • Hi, I have checked out the manual and nothing like this in place.

Anyone got any other ideas ?

thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:18 AM
  • so if anyone comes this way:

and it all works fine.

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:39 PM
  • Hi there, I have the same problem as you - wireless connection is abyssmal.

Works fine with blue Cable

I am pretty savvy most times but have a problem understanding what you have said in your post of 22 Dec 2007:

so if anyone comes this way:

However today I cant even find the server - but that should be fine after I have a fiddle - some upgrade occurred and I lost it.
    Might need a new upgrade to find it again

Helen

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:58 AM
  • What's blue Cable, please?

He changed a setting on his 3Com router to switch of media support - presumably 3Com's Wi-Fi Multi-Media (WMM) and maybe also Wireless Distribution System (WDS)

When he refers to ws2003 it's not clear if he actually has a Windows Server 2k3 box or if he's referring to the server underneath WHS, so in which firewall he's opened ports - and which ones they might be - is a bit of a mystery.

However, I think that may be a red herring so if you're still having problems, describe your setup for us.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:51 AM
  • Sorry, a blue cable is a network cable - ie plug one end in router and other end in network hole on laptop (ethernet cable?)

I have a Netgear DG834 Modem Router - ADSL connection -

I use a wireless connection to connect 2 Toshiba Laptops to the WHS which runs on my old PC (via the modem/router)

The laptops back up fine (after the 1st one as predicted by WHS you need to use a cable to connect for the 1st)

If I want to tranfer stuff from laptop to server it will do it fine when cable connection from laptop to modem
    However it keeps timing out when using wireless connection.
    It is inordinately slow when it does work.

I have WEP, WPA-PSK & WPA 802.1X as options for the network. I use WPA-PSK for my network.

Helen
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:05 AM
  • Ah! Mine's a different colour Smile

Thanks for the detail. WPA is good. Which version of Windows are the two machines running?

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:19 PM
  • I am running XP Professional on both laptops - I did not use the Toshiba install disks on either of them.

Helen
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:44 PM
  • hi,

just to clarify the points i made back on the 22nd;

2003 (should have called it WHS - but I am used to using 2003 at work which is the underlying server for WHS) - the ports I opened are ICMP related.

The poster is correct, the changes i made to the AP relate to the 3com support for media.

I am in no way sure that either actually fixed the problem - I am just happy that it all started working

However, I still get all sorts of problems across wireless and generally with network connectivity;

I have a PSP3 using its local wireless that is trying to act as a media centre but the connection to the server keeps dropping; when it is up it is fantastic but (for example) today it decided to lose all the tracks in one set of folders.

I have had one 100% cpu issue on WHS when media connect went into a loop (the PSP3 couldnt connect to the the WHS at all); I had to restart the service.

I have lost connectivty to the server twice totally (wireless and wired) and have had to reboot on the power button (well it is a headless chicken, er sorry, server!) This has fixed it both times.

I have recently added the mediaguide add in; since then I had the recent 2 loss of connectivity - (when something breaks I always ask .... what have I changed!)

So all in all, wireless has been very problematical with WHS; while wireless  has been 100% OK with my mixed Vista/XP configuration. The server isnt as robust as I had hoped so far; it would be nicer if it could monitor hangs etc quicker and respond automatically.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for their advice so far; as always a very helpful bunch of WHSers

Neil

3 laptops, xp pro, xp home, vista ultimate (all wireless)

1 psp3 (wireless)

3 xp pro desktops (wired)

1 asus barebones self build WHS (1.8ghz celeron, 1GB mem, 1 TB storeage, .5 TB external waiting for power pack 1 to back up server

1 Draytec router, 3com wireless AP, 3 com Hub, netgear Switch and netgear Wireless point

1 large drill needed to take ethernet cable from router across 3 rooms to the PSP3 so i get consistent music and video

enjoy

Saturday, January 12, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Neil.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 4:23 PM