How do I change my Email address of record? RRS feed

Answers

• If this relates to your One Care subscription I'm not sure if it can be done. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Do you mean you want to change the email address used to register OneCare?  If so, though you can't change the address within OneCare without totally uninstalling and reinstalling using a different billing account set up using the new address, there is a simpler way.

All you need to do is understand that the 'email address' you used to register OneCare is really just the name of a 'billing account' on the Windows Live servers.  Since this billing account itself has absolutely nothing to do with the actual email account, it's operation is totally independent.  So all you really need to do is log in manually to the original Windows Live billing account and enter the 'Personal Information' selection to change your Contact e-mail address.

To do this, click the following link and log in using the original email address and password of the account used to setup OneCare (Help/About)
    https://billing.microsoft.com

Then select the 'Go to personal information' link near the top of the page, folowed by 'Edit personal information'.

Change the 'Contact e-mail' to your current [new] email address and click the Save button.  Retry the above if you wish to verify the change.

Now any new messages sent to that account will come to your new email address.  Since the actual Billing account which allows OneCare to operate has no real relationship to your current email, this will work just fine.  I know this beacuse I've personally been operating a OneCare account named 'someone@sbcglobal.net' for the last two years on a PC which was totally unrelated to either the MSN dial-up or now AT&T DSL (totally different @att.net) accounts that were used for Internet access and email.

Yes this can be confusing, which I'm sure is one major reason that OneCare will be dropped by late 2010 and replaced with a free anti-malware product code named 'Morro' that won't require any accounts to operate.  There are many other reasons too, but I'm quite certain this was a big one.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:12 PM

All replies

• If this relates to your One Care subscription I'm not sure if it can be done. I suggest contacting support for help. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Do you mean you want to change the email address used to register OneCare?  If so, though you can't change the address within OneCare without totally uninstalling and reinstalling using a different billing account set up using the new address, there is a simpler way.

All you need to do is understand that the 'email address' you used to register OneCare is really just the name of a 'billing account' on the Windows Live servers.  Since this billing account itself has absolutely nothing to do with the actual email account, it's operation is totally independent.  So all you really need to do is log in manually to the original Windows Live billing account and enter the 'Personal Information' selection to change your Contact e-mail address.

To do this, click the following link and log in using the original email address and password of the account used to setup OneCare (Help/About)
    https://billing.microsoft.com

Then select the 'Go to personal information' link near the top of the page, folowed by 'Edit personal information'.

Change the 'Contact e-mail' to your current [new] email address and click the Save button.  Retry the above if you wish to verify the change.

Now any new messages sent to that account will come to your new email address.  Since the actual Billing account which allows OneCare to operate has no real relationship to your current email, this will work just fine.  I know this beacuse I've personally been operating a OneCare account named 'someone@sbcglobal.net' for the last two years on a PC which was totally unrelated to either the MSN dial-up or now AT&T DSL (totally different @att.net) accounts that were used for Internet access and email.

Yes this can be confusing, which I'm sure is one major reason that OneCare will be dropped by late 2010 and replaced with a free anti-malware product code named 'Morro' that won't require any accounts to operate.  There are many other reasons too, but I'm quite certain this was a big one.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Moved to the General forum after marking previous replies as "answer"
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, April 20, 2009 3:14 PM