Workflow to send reminder 2 days after opportunity est. close date. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I have a workflow setup where I want to send an email to users/owners when one of their opportunities is past the estimated close date. Most of it is correct, but I can not seem to figure out how to trigger the email correctly. I need the email to send 2 days after the estimated close date. Please advise. Thank you.

Friday, December 4, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• The answer is a WAIT condition.

Since using "Estimated Close Date" as a key in the Workflow, we needed to use the "Timeout" selection.

When the workflow "timesout" 2 days after est. close date, then it runs and delivers the email.
    • Marked as answer by jbogrbs Friday, December 4, 2009 10:02 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:02 PM

All replies

• The update step should be set on the estimated close date field and check the field using a Dynamic method of equal 2 days after the Est. Close Date.  Be sure to stop the workflow after the send e-mail step so the workflow does not continue to send the e-mail.

Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:23 PM
  • I entered the workflow as...

If owner equals "me"
         >THEN
    WAIT until Opportunity Est Close Date equals [Hours: 1 After Opportunity: Est Close Date]
         >THEN
    Send message
    STOP

Will this work???
    Friday, December 4, 2009 3:56 PM
  • If you are entering 1 hour to test the workflow, I would recommend using a before value like wait until Est Close Date equals or less than 1 day before est close date.  Then you can play with the Est Close date on an opportunity to see if it works.  if it works for 1 day before, it will most like work for 2 days after.  The hour is trickier because of the way time is saved in the database.  You might get unexpected results.

Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, December 4, 2009 4:37 PM
  • The answer is a WAIT condition.

Since using "Estimated Close Date" as a key in the Workflow, we needed to use the "Timeout" selection.

When the workflow "timesout" 2 days after est. close date, then it runs and delivers the email.
    • Marked as answer by jbogrbs Friday, December 4, 2009 10:02 PM
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:02 PM
  • yes, i responded to quickly, I knew what I meant :) not sure why you didn't lol.  I didn't mean update step because we are not updating the opportunity.  I mean wait step. 

Depending on the number of Opportunity records you have in the database, you could end up with a lot of system jobs in wait condition at any given time so you might actually want to consider a writing a job that takes care of this rather than using a workflow.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, December 4, 2009 10:28 PM