OCS 2007 R2 Fails to Install on SBS 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• I feel like I am a gerbel in a cage and need helping resolving this issue.  When installing the OCS 2007 R2 during the "Installing Web Components" portion of Delpoying the server I get the following error:

Failed to find node:
    /configuration/system.webserver/security/authentication/windowsAuthentication in XML file:
    C:\Windows\System32\Inetsrv\Config\Applicationhost.config, system errror: -2147020584

I have looked in that file and the node exists. 

I have searched the internet and found several postings that referenced a damaged inetsrv folder (all in 2008).  I find that unlikely and since it is the SBS 2008 server that runs the building (no lectures please about installing OCS) I am not at liberty to destroy the SBS install to resolve this nor can I take the server down for any length of time.  Someone has to have found the resolution to this issue.  Please help.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• I did find the following on page 16 of this Forum:

Error during Web Components Server Install
    none
    scratchproof Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:00 AM
    Last Reply Werner Helbig Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:32 AM

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/0a6791e7-1659-4a91-8cb9-5108f1a5ac67

What woul dbe the appropriate steps to remove IIS from SBS 2008 and reinstall it without irreperably harming SBS 2008 in the the process?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:27 PM
  • More info:

I went back to the config file the error referenced and found that I was wrong.  That the line it wanted was not there.  I then added it with the ="true" (also uninstalled and tried with the ="false") ending.  After doing so I did not get the same error instead I got this one:

Error 0x800700b7 (cannot create a file when that file already exists) binding to IIS metabase path IIS://localhost/w3svc/1. Make sure the website exists.

When I then go to IIS Manager it errors out because of a duplicate windows authentication in the config file.  I can restore the original config file (which I tried) and then try a reinstall of OCS but I am then back to the first error.

I could restore the original until I fix whatever is causing the above error but then I will need to go back to the altered config so that I can complete my OCS install.  All this seems ridiculous.

I am getting a migrane......

I am beginning to think that my need to reinstall early on caused some IIS config files and sites to be altered and/or created that need to be reverted and/or removed.  If this analysis seems sound can someone expalin how one can revert IIS 7 to SBS2008 default state? 
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:53 AM
  • So we are coming up on three days and no responses from anyone.  Am I to take it noone has an idea what is going on here?  My boss has will not allow me to go home until this is resolved and this chair is too uncomfortable to sleep in.  So yes a person can live three days without sleep. 

I have determined a few things so far.  When I insert the line in the applicationhost.config file that the original error requested, it knocks the root website offline network wide.  So if I try from any computer to browse to companyweb it will return a 503 error.  So that insert apparently prevents logging to the companysite.

My thought then was that since attempting to connect to the default website blew out with the error about a duplicate windows authentication in the config file that I needed to find the duplicate.  Obviously the line I entered was the duplicate.  If I could find what it was duplicating and remove the original so that OCS deployment found the windowsauthentication line where it wanted it AND IIS saw no duplicate that my problem would be reolved.  That proved fruitless since there are hundereds of lines within that config file that are windowsauthentication lines.  So l guess the questions that make the most sense to ask would be as follows:

1) Does someone have a copy of the original applicationhost.config that would be in place at the completion of the initial install of SBS2008?

2) Alternatively does someone have a copy of the applicationhost.config file that would be in place after the install of OCS 2007 R2 on SBS 2008?

3) Does someone have a workable technique to reinstall IIS on SBS2008 without rendering SBS2008 into a quivering pile of goo?

4) Does someone, with more knowledge than I, see what the real cause of the problem is and can advise me on the best way to get OCS 2007 R2 installed so that I can go home and get some sleep?  I seem to be spinnning my wheels and getting nowhere fast.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris 

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Day 4:

My eyes are now bloodshot to the point that their color is no longer recognizable.  I have been seing smurfs running across my desktop.  My hair is a jumbled mess and without coffee I would collapse....

Anyone have ideas to help my OCS install here?  Anyone?  Please....

Chris
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Hi Acupro
    You'd better not to install OCS 2007 R2 on the SBS 2008. 
    You can get more information about planning the deployment )CS 2007 R2 from below link
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425167(office.13).aspx

Regards!
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:28 AM