I really need a server but can't afford a new box at the moment. RRS feed

• Question

• Should I use WHS with my old 32 bit box vs or wait for WHS 2011 when I can afford a new 64 bit box? I really need the server to make backing up easier but $$$ for equipment has dried up with the economy.

My computers are: win7 desktop, win7 laptop, vista laptop, xp desktop, xp laptop (sharing issues between xp and 7)

Printers on belkin network device (only one computer can be logged on each prointer at a time)

also would like to connect 2 -Directv HD DVR & WII console and/or 2 flat screens

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:52 PM

All replies

• For your first requirements (backups), I would say yes, go with WHS1 (at $99) - it will provide a lot of security. You can attach a printer to it (although not formally supported) which will get you over your printing problem.

When it comes to streaming video though, that's a different matter depending on what you are trying to do. Your existing hardware may or may not be up to the job. 

On balance, I would say the first requirement would be met and a $99 outlay is relatively cheap to do that.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 11:27 PM