none
Does the size of data in this column “scope_info.scope_sync_knowledge” go to very big? RRS feed

• Question

• I am going to use MS Syn Framework in my project. On basis of my understanding, the knowledge information will be sent to source provider, and then the source provider can determine what changes should send to the destination.

I think the knowledge information is saved in the “scope_info.scope_sync_knowledge”. I am afraid the size of the knowledge will go to very big if I have more than 50 tables and a lot of changes on daily base.

Does anyone have experience with this? How big the size of the knowledge could be? I am very concerned about the amount of data transported through internet.

Thanks!

Friday, August 5, 2011 7:23 PM

Answers

• Sync Framework uses a compact format for saving the sync knowledge. that being said, its safe to assume that the total number of rows being synched will entries in the sync knowledge. likewise, the number of entries for each row inside the sync knowledge is not equal to the number of changes you make to a row (if you update a row 100 times, sync framework doesnt store 100 entries in the sync knowledge for the 100 updates made). 

there are however some things you need to consider with having a single scope with many tables. One scope is one entry in the scope_info table. If you have multiple clients synching at the same time, you will have contention on this row. If you need to add/remove tables, change schema, you have to deprovision the scope and thus deprovisioning all tables in that scope.

I would suggest you break up your scopes into smaller group of tables (e.g., download only scopes, upload only scopes, frequently updated bidirectional scope, etc...)

• Marked as answer by jz2012 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:07 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:53 AM

All replies

• Sync Framework uses a compact format for saving the sync knowledge. that being said, its safe to assume that the total number of rows being synched will entries in the sync knowledge. likewise, the number of entries for each row inside the sync knowledge is not equal to the number of changes you make to a row (if you update a row 100 times, sync framework doesnt store 100 entries in the sync knowledge for the 100 updates made). 

there are however some things you need to consider with having a single scope with many tables. One scope is one entry in the scope_info table. If you have multiple clients synching at the same time, you will have contention on this row. If you need to add/remove tables, change schema, you have to deprovision the scope and thus deprovisioning all tables in that scope.

I would suggest you break up your scopes into smaller group of tables (e.g., download only scopes, upload only scopes, frequently updated bidirectional scope, etc...)

• Marked as answer by jz2012 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:07 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Thanks! This is very helpful.
    Monday, August 8, 2011 2:01 PM