Is OneCare as good as the others? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just installed OneCare and quite frankly I am delighted. It installed quickly, without any issues and my computer is faster and quieter. I just have two little doubts in my mind that I would love to stop worrying about.

I had previously been using Kaspersky Internet Security 7 which I bought because It had such good reviews on the net. However, I found it rather hard to set up and it stopped me from visiting a website that I liked. But, I have read a few reviews on OneCare where they claim it did not detect as many viruses as the big name brands such as Kaspersky, Norton etc during tests. In fact, some claim OneCare is almost "Useless". Is this true?

Also, I have been using Perfect Disc 8 which claims to be the best thing since "Sliced Bread" and it takes a long time to do its job! When OneCare did a defrag it stopped half way through and reported my drive was so fragmented that it would have to complete it next time.  This seems strange to me because Perfect Disc has only just done a defrag! Will someone please explain the facts about defrag and why I read so often that Microsoft Defrag is not good?

Many thanks!

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:40 AM

Answers

• When One Care was first released its virus protection wasn't top notch but now it is as good as any product out there. I've used One Care for 2 1/2 years and have not had a virus. To be fair, no antivirus product will protect everyone every time and if you are reasonably cautious when using your computer just about any antivirus product will provide adequate protection.

Perfect Disc is an excellent product. There are quite a few really good disc defrag products out there. I use Perfect Disc 8. I also use Diskeeper 2008. Other than the speed of running a manual defrag job I don't notice any performance increase over using Windows defrag. Every defrag program lays out files a little differently so one program's fully defragmented drive can be another program's mess. One Care uses the native Windows defrag utility which is slow, so it only defrags for 15 minutes. It is done this way to reduce tune up time.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:00 PM

All replies

• When One Care was first released its virus protection wasn't top notch but now it is as good as any product out there. I've used One Care for 2 1/2 years and have not had a virus. To be fair, no antivirus product will protect everyone every time and if you are reasonably cautious when using your computer just about any antivirus product will provide adequate protection.

Perfect Disc is an excellent product. There are quite a few really good disc defrag products out there. I use Perfect Disc 8. I also use Diskeeper 2008. Other than the speed of running a manual defrag job I don't notice any performance increase over using Windows defrag. Every defrag program lays out files a little differently so one program's fully defragmented drive can be another program's mess. One Care uses the native Windows defrag utility which is slow, so it only defrags for 15 minutes. It is done this way to reduce tune up time.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Thank you very much for your prompt reply which certainly put my mind at rest regarding my anti virus concern. I agree with all you say about that!

As for the defrag issue I'm not sure what I should do! Do you think I should continue to use both OneCare and Perfect Disc? Will they be undoing what each other has done? There seems to be no way of switching off the OneCare defrag? Is OneCare as effective as Perfect Disc because I would be quite happy to remove Perfect Disc if it is. The less software I have installed the better as far as I am concerned!

Many thanks for your help.

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Feel free to continue to use Perfect Disc as you have been, and ignore the OneCare warning that it couldn't complete the Defrag. Maybe one day the OneCare team will allow us to disable Defrag during Tune-up.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:51 PM
  • OK, will do!

And finally...... One last question please.

Do you think it unwise to use two tuneup utilities? I have been using a program called TuneUp Utilities which does the same thing as OneCare. It checks for errors every so often and fixes them and has always worked very well for me. Is it possible they will not work well together?

Thanks again!

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:00 PM
  • Since the Tune-up Utilities program is started manually, there should not be any problems using it and OneCare. I'm not familiar with the program, but it might be overkill, depending on what it is checking and "repairing."

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Yes, I thought it would be overkill too.

I'll just use OneCare.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:13 PM