Windows 7 & 8 cannot handle long filenames transfered from Mac RRS feed

• Question

• This is unbelievable.  You might thing that MS would think it a good business model to help their customers transfer work from a Mac.  Yet, Windows gives me problems with files transferred from a Mac, that my old Mac PPC Mini running the old OSX 10.4.11 does not give me with files transferred from Windows.  Specifically, filenames that are "too long".  My Dell Optiplex 755 has both Win 7 & 8.1.  With Win 7, it will copy the files in, but then refuse to do anything with them.  They are even hard to delete, and once deleted, hard to purge.  A single file with a long filename buried somewhere in a folder will keep the entire folder from being deleted or purged.  One has to go through the pain of doing it file by file. 

This does not make me curse Mac - I curse Windows, violently.  Because I remember DOS 8+3 names, where it simply truncated the offending filename and went chugging merrily along.  And yet, although this is a common problem, MS has no facility whatsoever in Windows that will address this issue.  As it fails to address so many others. 

Every time this kind of short-sight imposes itself upon me, I just wish I could afford a Mac.  One gets the impression that MS considers itself too big to fail. 

Thanks for the memories. 

• Edited by fossilftn Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:45 PM
    • Moved by Just Karl Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:14 PM Looking for proper forum
    Sunday, July 6, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:13 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:14 PM
  • What do you consider a "long" file name?

Without your answer not sure, if this is the same:
    Unfortunately several Windows components still have trouble with a total path length exceeding 256 characters (while NTFS is supporting those, Explorer and other tools are shying away).

The only workaround for such situations would be to share a folder deeper in the hierarchy and access the files via that share or a mapped network drive to shorten the path. 

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:34 AM