none
Connecting Client PCs with Greek Windows XP/Vista/7 to a WHS PC RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently obtained a WHS DSP package from a retailer in Greece. I have managed to build my own WHS PC, in which I intend to install the WHS Operating System and then to connect my other PCs, which are scattered here and there, around my house.

However, by reading the Pre-Istallation guide, found in the relevant OEM Preinstallation Kit CD of the package, I can see the following:

"Supported operating systems for the Windows Home Server Conector software

Windows Vista (below, it lists all the known Vista editions)
    Windows XP (here also, it lists all the known editions of the WinXP, SP2 ones).

Supported languages
    Windows Home Server supports the following languages:
    - English
    - Spanish
    - French
    - German
    - Japanese
    The Windows Home Server Connector software supports international language versions as follows:
    - All language versions of the Windows Home Server Connector sofware support the English versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista
    - The Engish versions of Windows XP and Windows Vista support all language versions of the Windows Home Server Connector software.
    - Home computer operating system language and Conector software language matching. For example, install the French Connector on a computer running the French language version of Windows Vista"

From the above, I understand that PCs, equiped with Windows XP or Vista or 7 in other languages (e.g. Greek, like mine) shall not be supported. Although this seems to be a little strange, nevertheless I would like this issue to be clarified, before installing the WHS OS in my my new PC and before installation of the WHS Connector in th client PCs.

I would appreciate if I can get an answer on this.

Thanks in advance.

P. Melas-Greece

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:41 AM

All replies

• You're correct, Greek is not a supported language. Because of the way the various components interact, you should make sure that connector and client language match, as otherwise you can encounter character mapping problems, password issues, etc.

Also, I'll note that probably Windows Home Server is not officially distributed in Greece; the lack of language support certainly suggests so. This means that you may have other issues as well, for instance if you need to reinstall as a result of OS corruption or primary disk failure you may have trouble reactivating your software by phone.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 12:35 PM
  • You're correct, Greek is not a supported language. Because of the way the various components interact, you should make sure that connector and client language match, as otherwise you can encounter character mapping problems, password issues, etc.

Also, I'll note that probably Windows Home Server is not officially distributed in Greece; the lack of language support certainly suggests so. This means that you may have other issues as well, for instance if you need to reinstall as a result of OS corruption or primary disk failure you may have trouble reactivating your software by phone.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thank you so much, Ken, for your reply. This is frustrating and odd. Microsoft distributes all prolducts in Greece, although in its site, the WHS does not appear. The package was legally purchased from an official retailer and there is no doupt that it was distributed via official channels.

I have contacted Microsoft-Hellas (Greece) and I have placed an official query regarding this matter. They promised they will answer. However, I expect Microsoft to provide some kind of support for its product, unless they believe that our country should be erased from the world map. In any case, since they provide other Windows Greek editions, there should be some kind of add-in patch (or something similar), to allow the Greek Windows users to use their software in an appropriate way.

And again I have to point out that the WHS Operating System is distributed in Greece officially. There are hundreds of dealers who sell it, all of them providing official Microsoft warranty. I cannot imagine other way of distribution, than the one through Microsoft-Hellas (Greece).

I am also expecting an answer from any Microsoft official, who apparently follow-up this forum.

Thanks again. Be well.

P. Melas

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:25 PM