Back-up to a remote location... with Windows OneCare RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greeting and Salutations Everyone....

I am trying to back-up multiple desktops in different locations that are not local to the network and I have established a VPN connection between computer being backedup to the computer that hostes the backups.  I have the Internet connection in a Public Zone and the VPN on a Private Zone..... the pop-up tells me that the "Device PC is in a Public Zone"....???????

PLEASE Advice!!!!

I am adding more and more computers each day and I NEED these backs-ups to take place without moving PCs to Local networks just to perform backups.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 5:06 PM

Answers

• What you are describing is an unsupported scenario, though a creative one. At this point, multiple network adapters in OneCare (which the VPN connection is) will be identified as Public and will also cause the entire firewall to drop into restricted mode for File and Printer Sharing.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• What you are describing is an unsupported scenario, though a creative one. At this point, multiple network adapters in OneCare (which the VPN connection is) will be identified as Public and will also cause the entire firewall to drop into restricted mode for File and Printer Sharing.

-steve

Sunday, December 23, 2007 6:22 PM

• Season's Greetings to You and Family Steve,

I thank you for your rapid response.....

So I am to understand that the backup must be performed locally via CD/DVD, Local Network or external drive?

What is the point of of having the ability of creating a VPN network Connection VIA internet if I cannot view files that are "in the tunnel"?

I figured if I could view files/folders that are attached to the VPN connection then I could create permissions that are limited to the OneCare backup users with the ability to read/write while everyone else has no access via remote.

Is this something that can be created?

Happy Holidays and New Year!!

Regards,

Mr. Yurasek
    Monday, December 24, 2007 12:26 AM
  • You're welcome and Happy Holidays to you, too. I understand what you are trying to do and as I noted before, it is not what OneCare was designed to do, so it would be unsupported. The problem that you are running into is a networking issue regarding VPN, in that it is a second adapter in the PC, and a firewall issue with OneCare, that causes multiple network adapters to make the firewall see your network connection as public, thereby locking it down. If the firewall team can resolve this issue, you may be able to get your scenario working, but at this point I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to.

-steve

Monday, December 24, 2007 2:54 PM
  • This is a similar problem that I have with VPN and Onecare. As Onecare gets more and more momentum it should be able to handle this case, so that filesharing via VPN is possible and setting the location per network adapter is a must.

Is there a connect site for the beta of version 3 where we can vote for such a feature?

Saturday, March 22, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  MikeH2005 wrote:

This is a similar problem that I have with VPN and Onecare. As Onecare gets more and more momentum it should be able to handle this case, so that filesharing via VPN is possible and setting the location per network adapter is a must.

Is there a connect site for the beta of version 3 where we can vote for such a feature?

You can provide feedback here:

https://feedback.live.com/default.aspx?productkey=wlonecare

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:44 AM