"Filter Manager failed to attach to volume" events RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting these events for different volume numbers. Does anyone know what the cause is?

"Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume29'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xc03a001c."

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:05 PM

All replies

• I also have the same problem, my backups fail when that happens too. Any solutions?
    Monday, July 9, 2012 8:18 PM
  • I too am getting the FilterManager error, the sequence of events are the same every night:

At 03:00, when my Server Backup is scheduled to start it posts:

Event ID: 2

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing

"Session "WbadminInBuiltTracing" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035"

Then at 03:01 it posts:

Event ID: 3

Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager

"Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeXX'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xc03a001c."

Fortunately for me, the Server Backups appear to be OK, indicating: "Successful" so it doesn't look like it is creating an immediate problem but while researching these errors they look like they cause more serious problems so I would like to figure out what is going on and how to fix it.

Anyone???

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:08 PM
  • I too am getting the FilterManager error, the sequence of events are the same every night:

At 03:00, when my Server Backup is scheduled to start it posts:

Event ID: 2

Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing

"Session "WbadminInBuiltTracing" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035"

Then at 03:01 it posts:

Event ID: 3

Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager

"Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolumeXX'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xc03a001c."

Fortunately for me, the Server Backups appear to be OK, indicating: "Successful" so it doesn't look like it is creating an immediate problem but while researching these errors they look like they cause more serious problems so I would like to figure out what is going on and how to fix it.

Anyone???

Same issue, no solution from me - an amateur.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Try resetting Server backups, make sure VSS is enabled on all drives being backed up and do not assign a drive letter to your Backup drive. Worked for me.

Good Luck

Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Hi Palan,

Please disable "Windows Search" Services it will resolve this issue because it is keep searching for this volume which is physically not exist.

Regards,

MD Disclaimer: The opinion expressed herein are my own knowledge. Deploy this at your own risk. Whenever you see a helpful reply, just click on “Propose As Answer”

• Proposed as answer by johnny.amberg Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:32 PM
    Thursday, December 27, 2012 7:54 AM
  • I keep getting these events for different volume numbers. Does anyone know what the cause is?

"Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume29'. This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot. The final status was 0xc03a001c."

Has any resolution been found? i have 2 2011 Essenchal server with this error they all have remote back up so there is no phisical Drive how erver the work stations are backing up to the severs. i have run check disk and rebooted the server and it seams to fix it for a while but then it comes back. one of the servers has a media reader in it but nothing is pluged in and none of the indicated harddiskvolume id are appicible to ether system.
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:50 AM